Re: [TalkAntietam] Where is everybody?

    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 8, 2006
      Stephen,

      I have noticed that too...must be the time of year. As to your earlier
      question, I am going to try to do some research on the Preliminary EP
      and get back to you on it.

      God. --Anonymous
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 8, 2006
        "I can't find any reference to them having to give up slavery first, before they
        can come back in."

        That's because there wasn't any. On the surface, the P EP was meant not to wean
        slavery from the slave states but to encourage states in rebellion to return to
        the Union. Simply put, for any state returning to the Union before Jan 1863,
        slavery was still an open question. After that time, slavery was off the table.

        Of course, it was quite obvious that no slave state was going to return to the
        Union in the time frame specified; the real meaning behind the P EP was to state
        that the Union policy, starting Jan 1 1863, would be for the US military to free
        any slaves that fell under its control as a result of military advancement.

        T.R. Livesey
        tlivesey@...

        On Wed Nov 8 12:58 , Stephen Recker <recker@...> sent:

        TalkAntietam-digest@yahoogroups.com','','','')">TalkAntietam-digest@yahoogroups.com

        TalkAntietam-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com','','','')">TalkAntietam-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 9, 2006

          Awesome. Thanks.

          Stephen

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 9, 2006
            Stephen,

            I see that Todd Livesey already answered your question and I tend to
            agree with what he says. However, I will try to read the Prelim EP
            with your question in mind. Hope to get back to you soon.

            God. --Anonymous

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 9, 2006
              Todd's letter didn't come through my email, but I found it on Yahoo's
              site. Very interesting. Thanks.

              Stephen