Emancipation question

    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 8, 2006
      What were the terms by which Lincoln would accept the South back into
      the Union per the Preliminary Emancipation Proclamation? As I read the
      text it seems that Lincoln would accept the South back in, within 100
      days, WITH their slavery intact, but after they were back in he would
      offer them compensated emancipation, or some other voluntary scheme. I
      can't find any reference to them having to give up slavery first,
      before they can come back in. Thanks.

      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 8, 2006
        Hey, where did everyone go? This place has gotten awful quiet lately.
        What's going on?

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 8, 2006
          Stephen,

          I have noticed that too...must be the time of year. As to your earlier
          question, I am going to try to do some research on the Preliminary EP
          and get back to you on it.

          God. --Anonymous
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 8, 2006
            "I can't find any reference to them having to give up slavery first, before they
            can come back in."

            That's because there wasn't any. On the surface, the P EP was meant not to wean
            slavery from the slave states but to encourage states in rebellion to return to
            the Union. Simply put, for any state returning to the Union before Jan 1863,
            slavery was still an open question. After that time, slavery was off the table.

            Of course, it was quite obvious that no slave state was going to return to the
            Union in the time frame specified; the real meaning behind the P EP was to state
            that the Union policy, starting Jan 1 1863, would be for the US military to free
            any slaves that fell under its control as a result of military advancement.

            T.R. Livesey
            tlivesey@...

            On Wed Nov 8 12:58 , Stephen Recker <recker@...> sent:

            TalkAntietam-digest@yahoogroups.com','','','')">TalkAntietam-digest@yahoogroups.com

            TalkAntietam-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com','','','')">TalkAntietam-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 9, 2006

              Awesome. Thanks.

              Stephen

              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 9, 2006
                Stephen,

                I see that Todd Livesey already answered your question and I tend to
                agree with what he says. However, I will try to read the Prelim EP
                with your question in mind. Hope to get back to you soon.

                God. --Anonymous

                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 9, 2006
                  Todd's letter didn't come through my email, but I found it on Yahoo's
                  site. Very interesting. Thanks.

                  Stephen