Re: [TalkAntietam] SHAF work day on November 11

  • (no author)
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 30, 2006
      Thanks Tom, appreciate the announcement, pray for good weather. We hope to work near the final attack trail, cutting more trees to place some artillery pieces out there.

      >>> <RoteBaron@...> 10/30/06 11:15 AM >>>

      Save Historic Antietam Foundation, Inc. and the National Park Service invite you to pitch in at the next Battlefield Work Day.
      To be held on Saturday, 11 November 2006, the day will be spent working on the Ninth Corps Attack sector of the Battlefield. Meet at the Antietam National Battlefield Visitor's Center parking lot at 9:00 AM.
      All are welcome. Please dress in clothing appropriate for the weather and the work. Gloves and water are recommended.
      Tom Shay - Cressona, PA

      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 8, 2006
        What were the terms by which Lincoln would accept the South back into
        the Union per the Preliminary Emancipation Proclamation? As I read the
        text it seems that Lincoln would accept the South back in, within 100
        days, WITH their slavery intact, but after they were back in he would
        offer them compensated emancipation, or some other voluntary scheme. I
        can't find any reference to them having to give up slavery first,
        before they can come back in. Thanks.

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 8, 2006
          Hey, where did everyone go? This place has gotten awful quiet lately.
          What's going on?

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 8, 2006
            Stephen,

            I have noticed that too...must be the time of year. As to your earlier
            question, I am going to try to do some research on the Preliminary EP
            and get back to you on it.

            God. --Anonymous
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 8, 2006
              "I can't find any reference to them having to give up slavery first, before they
              can come back in."

              That's because there wasn't any. On the surface, the P EP was meant not to wean
              slavery from the slave states but to encourage states in rebellion to return to
              the Union. Simply put, for any state returning to the Union before Jan 1863,
              slavery was still an open question. After that time, slavery was off the table.

              Of course, it was quite obvious that no slave state was going to return to the
              Union in the time frame specified; the real meaning behind the P EP was to state
              that the Union policy, starting Jan 1 1863, would be for the US military to free
              any slaves that fell under its control as a result of military advancement.

              T.R. Livesey
              tlivesey@...

              On Wed Nov 8 12:58 , Stephen Recker <recker@...> sent:

              TalkAntietam-digest@yahoogroups.com','','','')">TalkAntietam-digest@yahoogroups.com

              TalkAntietam-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com','','','')">TalkAntietam-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 9, 2006

                Awesome. Thanks.

                Stephen

                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 9, 2006
                  Stephen,

                  I see that Todd Livesey already answered your question and I tend to
                  agree with what he says. However, I will try to read the Prelim EP
                  with your question in mind. Hope to get back to you soon.

                  God. --Anonymous

                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 9, 2006
                    Todd's letter didn't come through my email, but I found it on Yahoo's
                    site. Very interesting. Thanks.

                    Stephen