Re: [TalkAntietam] "Gone With the Wind" Benefit at Maryland Theater in Hagerstown

  • richard@rcroker.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 11, 2006
      Actually, the GWTW world premiere was at the Lowe's Grand theatre in Atlanta, Ga. The biggest event held in MY town until the 1991 World Series and (oh yeah) the Olympics.

      Cute sidebar. Clark Gable went to the Atlanta Cyclorama (puts the Gettysburg one to shame) and said afterwards, "That's the best picture I've ever seen that I wasn't in." So the artist added a moustache to one of the 3-dimensional characters so that Gable could "star" in the painting.

      To purchase tickets, visit the theater's website at www.mdtheatre.org
      where they can be purchased online, or by phoning the theater box
      office at 301-790-3500.

      STAGE BOXES: The Maryland Theater has stage boxes like Fords
      Theater. Boxes are reserved for patrons willng to attend in period
      attire to add flavor to the stage environment. Ticket price is the
      same ($25). To purchase box tickets, contact me (Steve Bockmiller)
      at 301-371-6311 or email me at DeBockster@... These tickets are
      first come-first served. There are 10 boxes. 2 are already sold.
      Boxes seat 4 and 6. Individual seats in boxes will be sold. You
      need not purchase the entire box, but period attire is required to
      sit in the boxes.

      CORPORATE SPONSORSHIPS AND PROGRAM ADS: We are currently seeking
      corporate sponsorship in the amount of $4000 to underwrite the
      production cost of this event. We have a whole package of benefits
      and incentives for a sole sponsor willing to step up to the plate,
      including free use of the USS Constellation for a party or corporate
      event (catering extra....rental is waived). However, we will be
      happy to accept smaller corporate sponsorships for portions of this
      $4000 amount. We plan to sell full page advertisements in the
      event program for $250 each. For more information on corporate
      sponsorships and program ads, contact Steve Bockmiller at
      DeBockster@... or 301-371-6311.

      SPREAD THE WORD: Please assist us spreading the word of this event,
      so we can sell all 1300 tickets. If you belong to a group that has a
      newsletter (CWRT, SCV, SUV, historical society, reenactment group,
      etc.), please post this event in the "upcoming events" section of
      your newsletter. Any and all help along these lines would be much
      appreciated.

      Thank you for your time and consideration. Hope all is well with
      everyone.

      Steve Bockmiller

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 11, 2006
        Thanks Richard.
        My favorite story is that as Vivian Leigh, obviously no history fan, was greeted at the airport by a band playing "Dixie" she remarked, "hey, they're playing that song from the picture!" Oh well.
        Tom Clemens