MARGIE RIDDLE BEARSS

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 11, 2006
      I thought this might be of interest here.

      Stephen

      ///////////////////////////////////

      BEARSS - MARGIE RIDDLE BEARSS

      Brandon, MS and Arlington, VA, MARGIE RIDDLE BEARSS, 80, died Saturday,
      October 7, 2006 at St. Dominic Hospital, Jackson, MS following a lengthy
      illness. Burial will be private. Baldwin-Lee Funeral Home, Pearl, MS is
      handling arrangements. The daughter of Ralph Caswell Riddle and Mattie
      Reid
      Riddle, she was born October 22, 1925 and grew up in Brandon. She was a
      fourth-generation member of Bethel Baptist Church. After graduating from
      Hinds Junior College and Blue Mountain College, she taught English in
      Goodman and Lexington. In 1958, she marrried Edwin Bearss, Historian of
      the
      Vicksburg Military Park. In 1966, they moved to Arlington, VA.

      She had a lifelong love of books, poetry and Civil War history. She
      helped
      recover, preserve and catalog artifacts from the Union Ironclad Cairo.
      She
      designed and constructed the exhibits at the Grand Gulf Military Park.
      Her
      books include Sherman's Forgotten Campaign (1987) and, with her dear
      friend,
      Rebecca Drake, two collections of Champion Hill documents, My Dear Wife
      (2005) and Darwina's Diary (2OO6). While living in Arlington, she was
      elected to membership in the National Military Collectors and
      Historians and
      named Fellow for her work pertaining to the USS Cairo and Grand Gulf
      Park.

      Survivors include husband, Edwin Bearss of Arlington, VA; daughter, Sara
      Bearss of Richmond, VA; sons, Edwin Bearss, Jr. and his wife, Annika
      Bearss,
      son, Michael Bearss, all of Columbus, GA; daughter, Jenny Bearss and
      sons
      Todd and Andy Olmsted, all of Brandon, MS.

      Memorials may be sent to The Civil War Preservation Trust.
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 11, 2006
        Stephen:

        Much more info here: http://www.battleofchampionhill.org/

        God. --Anonymous