Jerry Summers

  • fore.again
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 12 8:02 AM
      After a little searching at the park here is some information on
      Jerry Summers, the man who lived in the structure on the south side
      of the Sunken Road.

      - Summers went by "Jerry"

      - Was born in 1848

      - Was living in the stone building in front of the Piper House at
      the time of the Battle

      - He is still living with the Piper's in 1870

      - By 1880 he is married and living with his family Somewhere along
      the Sharpsburg Pike between D.R. Miller's house and the Piper's. It
      is possible he was living in the house in question along the sunken
      road as early as this.

      - In 1910 he and his family can definitely be identified as living
      in the tenant house in question; that house being located on the
      south side of the sunken road between the Mumma lane and the lowman
      house ( probably closer to the mumma lane)

      - In 1920 he and his wife are still living in the Piper tenant
      house. He appears to pass away before the 1930 census and it can be
      assumed that during the years between 1920 and his death living he
      continued to reside at the same location.

      The house is visible in the panoramic view taken from the tower that
      was included in O.T. Rielly's "the Battlefield of Antietam" in 1906.

      Regards,
      Brian

      The weather is looking good for Battle Anniversary Weekend...
      http://www.nps.gov/anti/planyourvisit/2006-anniversary.htm
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 11, 2006
        I thought this might be of interest here.

        Stephen

        ///////////////////////////////////

        BEARSS - MARGIE RIDDLE BEARSS

        Brandon, MS and Arlington, VA, MARGIE RIDDLE BEARSS, 80, died Saturday,
        October 7, 2006 at St. Dominic Hospital, Jackson, MS following a lengthy
        illness. Burial will be private. Baldwin-Lee Funeral Home, Pearl, MS is
        handling arrangements. The daughter of Ralph Caswell Riddle and Mattie
        Reid
        Riddle, she was born October 22, 1925 and grew up in Brandon. She was a
        fourth-generation member of Bethel Baptist Church. After graduating from
        Hinds Junior College and Blue Mountain College, she taught English in
        Goodman and Lexington. In 1958, she marrried Edwin Bearss, Historian of
        the
        Vicksburg Military Park. In 1966, they moved to Arlington, VA.

        She had a lifelong love of books, poetry and Civil War history. She
        helped
        recover, preserve and catalog artifacts from the Union Ironclad Cairo.
        She
        designed and constructed the exhibits at the Grand Gulf Military Park.
        Her
        books include Sherman's Forgotten Campaign (1987) and, with her dear
        friend,
        Rebecca Drake, two collections of Champion Hill documents, My Dear Wife
        (2005) and Darwina's Diary (2OO6). While living in Arlington, she was
        elected to membership in the National Military Collectors and
        Historians and
        named Fellow for her work pertaining to the USS Cairo and Grand Gulf
        Park.

        Survivors include husband, Edwin Bearss of Arlington, VA; daughter, Sara
        Bearss of Richmond, VA; sons, Edwin Bearss, Jr. and his wife, Annika
        Bearss,
        son, Michael Bearss, all of Columbus, GA; daughter, Jenny Bearss and
        sons
        Todd and Andy Olmsted, all of Brandon, MS.

        Memorials may be sent to The Civil War Preservation Trust.
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 11, 2006
          Stephen:

          Much more info here: http://www.battleofchampionhill.org/

          God. --Anonymous