Re: House in question

  • dickeyr46
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 31 6:16 AM
      To expand this thread a little….

      The NPS Historical Handbook Series No. 31 (1960, revised 1961) has an
      excellent picture on p. 33 of the cabin Brian Baracz identified as the
      Lowman Cabin built around 1873. This photo is online at

      http://www.cr.nps.gov/history/online_books/hh/31/hh31m.htm

      It is looking NW down Bloody Lane toward the intersection with the
      Roulette Farm Lane. The photo is identified as "Sunken Road in 1877"
      and is a similar view to the old (circa 1900) B&W the NPS has posted
      to their new website and caused this thread to start. This Handbook
      photo provides a very clear view of the Lowman Cabin and its location
      north of Blody Lane on what has sometimes been referred to as
      Kimball's Knoll where today is located several Union monuments (130th
      PA Inf, 14th Conn Inf., 5th MD Inf., 14th Ind Inf., 1st Del Inf., and
      5th MD Inf. Cos A & I). There is also a companion Handbook photo
      identified as "The same view today." But, the "today" view is earlier
      than 1961 when the booklet was revised.

      There is also posted under the "Antique Postcard" link, a postcard,
      titled "Old Bloody Lane," with a similar view but after 1904 since the
      132nd PA Inf.'s monument is present. Try

      http://www.nps.gov/anti/photosmultimedia/antiquepostcards.htm

      and click on "View this album as a slide show" and then click on "06".
      I can't get it to work by clicking directly on the slide… one aspect
      NPS doesn't have working yet.

      Now from this album slide show, click on "03". This is named "Bloody
      Lane 3" and shows the lane as photographed from the observation tower,
      probably taken between 1900 and 1904. The Lowman Cabin is clearly
      visible as is what appears to be the 14th Conn Inf.'s monument north
      of the Cabin. It is taken before 1904 because the 132nd PA Inf.
      Monument is not in place SE of the Roulette Lane intersection and
      after 1900 because I "believe" I can make out a white spot where the
      Old Vermont Brigade Monument would be. This photo is most interesting
      because if you continue west from the Lowman Cabin to where Mumma Lane
      would intersect Bloody Lane there is a second cabin, this one south of
      Bloody Lane. This might be the cabin Gerry M. was referring to as
      having been built by Henry Piper for his former slaves. Refer to pp.
      228 and 229 of "Too Afraid to Cry." These pages talk about Jerry
      Summers, a former slave, choosing to stay with Henry Piper. The
      reference says, "When Henry died, Summers and his wife, Susan, were
      rewarded for their loyalty with a cabin and garden plot near Bloody
      Lane." There's also a photo of Jerry on p. 228. Perhaps Brian B. or
      others that really know the battle park history could confirm that
      this was a second cabin built on Bloody Lane after the war.

      Regards,
      Ron Dickey

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, RoteBaron@... wrote:

      > It's along Bloody Lane to the north of Roulette Farm entrance.
      >
      > Antietam NPS has online map (PDF file) of monument locations at:
      > http://www.nps.gov/anti/planyourvisit/upload/monuments.pdf
      >
      > Tom Shay
      > From: "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@...>
      >
      > > Dear Tom,
      > >
      > > Thanks much!!! Where is the monument in relation to the Observation
      > > Tower?
      > >
      > > Yr. Obt. Svt.
      > > G E "Gerry" Mayers
      > >
      > > To Be A Virginian, either by birth, marriage, adoption, or even on
      > > one's mother's side, is an introduction to any state in the Union, a
      > > passport to any foreign country, and a benediction from the Almighty
      > > God. --Anonymous

    • Cory Newby
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 1, 2006
        Fantastic information! I am quite surprised to learn that the cabin stood approximately a century on such a prominent part of the battlefield without appearing in more photographs; but the surprise of its absence from more photos subsided somewhat when I realize that there are few significant photographic works detailing that portion of the Sunken Road during that period (the fine new collection of photographs on the redesigned NPS site notwithstanding).

        Thank you, Brian Baracz, Gerry Mayers and Ron Dickey.

        Very Best Regards,

        Cory Newby
        AntietamPhotography.com

        dickeyr46 <dickeyr46@...> wrote: To expand this thread a little….

      • T.R.Livesey
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 2, 2006
          T.R. Livesey
          tlivesey@...

          Here are two "better" pictures of the Lowman House:

          http://www.westwoodgalleries.com/lowman1.jpg
          http://www.westwoodgalleries.com/lowman2.jpg

          T.R. Livesey
          tlivesey@...