Re: [TalkAntietam] House in question

    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 28, 2006
      Dear Tom,

      Thanks much!!! Where is the monument in relation to the Observation
      Tower?

      God. --Anonymous
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 29, 2006
        It's along Bloody Lane to the north of Roulette Farm entrance.

        Antietam NPS has online map (PDF file) of monument locations at:
        http://www.nps.gov/anti/planyourvisit/upload/monuments.pdf

        From: "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@...>

        > Dear Tom,
        >
        > Thanks much!!! Where is the monument in relation to the Observation
        > Tower?

        > God. --Anonymous

      • dickeyr46
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 31, 2006
          To expand this thread a little….

          The NPS Historical Handbook Series No. 31 (1960, revised 1961) has an
          excellent picture on p. 33 of the cabin Brian Baracz identified as the
          Lowman Cabin built around 1873. This photo is online at

          http://www.cr.nps.gov/history/online_books/hh/31/hh31m.htm

          It is looking NW down Bloody Lane toward the intersection with the
          Roulette Farm Lane. The photo is identified as "Sunken Road in 1877"
          and is a similar view to the old (circa 1900) B&W the NPS has posted
          to their new website and caused this thread to start. This Handbook
          photo provides a very clear view of the Lowman Cabin and its location
          north of Blody Lane on what has sometimes been referred to as
          Kimball's Knoll where today is located several Union monuments (130th
          PA Inf, 14th Conn Inf., 5th MD Inf., 14th Ind Inf., 1st Del Inf., and
          5th MD Inf. Cos A & I). There is also a companion Handbook photo
          identified as "The same view today." But, the "today" view is earlier
          than 1961 when the booklet was revised.

          There is also posted under the "Antique Postcard" link, a postcard,
          titled "Old Bloody Lane," with a similar view but after 1904 since the
          132nd PA Inf.'s monument is present. Try

          http://www.nps.gov/anti/photosmultimedia/antiquepostcards.htm

          and click on "View this album as a slide show" and then click on "06".
          I can't get it to work by clicking directly on the slide… one aspect
          NPS doesn't have working yet.

          Now from this album slide show, click on "03". This is named "Bloody
          Lane 3" and shows the lane as photographed from the observation tower,
          probably taken between 1900 and 1904. The Lowman Cabin is clearly
          visible as is what appears to be the 14th Conn Inf.'s monument north
          of the Cabin. It is taken before 1904 because the 132nd PA Inf.
          Monument is not in place SE of the Roulette Lane intersection and
          after 1900 because I "believe" I can make out a white spot where the
          Old Vermont Brigade Monument would be. This photo is most interesting
          because if you continue west from the Lowman Cabin to where Mumma Lane
          would intersect Bloody Lane there is a second cabin, this one south of
          Bloody Lane. This might be the cabin Gerry M. was referring to as
          having been built by Henry Piper for his former slaves. Refer to pp.
          228 and 229 of "Too Afraid to Cry." These pages talk about Jerry
          Summers, a former slave, choosing to stay with Henry Piper. The
          reference says, "When Henry died, Summers and his wife, Susan, were
          rewarded for their loyalty with a cabin and garden plot near Bloody
          Lane." There's also a photo of Jerry on p. 228. Perhaps Brian B. or
          others that really know the battle park history could confirm that
          this was a second cabin built on Bloody Lane after the war.

          Regards,
          Ron Dickey

          --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, RoteBaron@... wrote:

          > It's along Bloody Lane to the north of Roulette Farm entrance.
          >
          > Antietam NPS has online map (PDF file) of monument locations at:
          > http://www.nps.gov/anti/planyourvisit/upload/monuments.pdf
          >
          > Tom Shay
          > From: "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@...>
          >
          > > Dear Tom,
          > >
          > > Thanks much!!! Where is the monument in relation to the Observation
          > > Tower?
          > >
          > > Yr. Obt. Svt.
          > > G E "Gerry" Mayers
          > >
          > > To Be A Virginian, either by birth, marriage, adoption, or even on
          > > one's mother's side, is an introduction to any state in the Union, a
          > > passport to any foreign country, and a benediction from the Almighty
          > > God. --Anonymous

        • Cory Newby
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 1, 2006
            Fantastic information! I am quite surprised to learn that the cabin stood approximately a century on such a prominent part of the battlefield without appearing in more photographs; but the surprise of its absence from more photos subsided somewhat when I realize that there are few significant photographic works detailing that portion of the Sunken Road during that period (the fine new collection of photographs on the redesigned NPS site notwithstanding).

            Thank you, Brian Baracz, Gerry Mayers and Ron Dickey.

            Very Best Regards,

            Cory Newby
            AntietamPhotography.com

            dickeyr46 <dickeyr46@...> wrote: To expand this thread a little….

          • T.R.Livesey
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 2, 2006
              T.R. Livesey
              tlivesey@...

              Here are two "better" pictures of the Lowman House:

              http://www.westwoodgalleries.com/lowman1.jpg
              http://www.westwoodgalleries.com/lowman2.jpg

              T.R. Livesey
              tlivesey@...