Re: [TalkAntietam] House in question

    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 28, 2006
      Brian,

      Where is the monument to the 130th PA Volunteer Infantry? There is a
      Penna Volunteer Infantry on the north side of the Sunken Road, but
      IIRC, that is to the 132nd PVI and was originally supposed to be
      emplaced at Fredericksburg.

      God. --Anonymous
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 28, 2006
        Details on the 130th PA monument at available via VirtualAntietam.

        I hope this URL gets you to the right spot:
        http://www.virtualantietam.com/monuments/detail.cfm?curMon=100sr

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 28, 2006
          Dear Tom,

          Thanks much!!! Where is the monument in relation to the Observation
          Tower?

          God. --Anonymous

        • RoteBaron@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 29, 2006
            It's along Bloody Lane to the north of Roulette Farm entrance.

            Antietam NPS has online map (PDF file) of monument locations at:
            http://www.nps.gov/anti/planyourvisit/upload/monuments.pdf

            From: "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@...>

            > Dear Tom,
            >
            > Thanks much!!! Where is the monument in relation to the Observation
            > Tower?

            > God. --Anonymous

          • dickeyr46
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 31, 2006
              To expand this thread a little….

              The NPS Historical Handbook Series No. 31 (1960, revised 1961) has an
              excellent picture on p. 33 of the cabin Brian Baracz identified as the
              Lowman Cabin built around 1873. This photo is online at

              http://www.cr.nps.gov/history/online_books/hh/31/hh31m.htm

              It is looking NW down Bloody Lane toward the intersection with the
              Roulette Farm Lane. The photo is identified as "Sunken Road in 1877"
              and is a similar view to the old (circa 1900) B&W the NPS has posted
              to their new website and caused this thread to start. This Handbook
              photo provides a very clear view of the Lowman Cabin and its location
              north of Blody Lane on what has sometimes been referred to as
              Kimball's Knoll where today is located several Union monuments (130th
              PA Inf, 14th Conn Inf., 5th MD Inf., 14th Ind Inf., 1st Del Inf., and
              5th MD Inf. Cos A & I). There is also a companion Handbook photo
              identified as "The same view today." But, the "today" view is earlier
              than 1961 when the booklet was revised.

              There is also posted under the "Antique Postcard" link, a postcard,
              titled "Old Bloody Lane," with a similar view but after 1904 since the
              132nd PA Inf.'s monument is present. Try

              http://www.nps.gov/anti/photosmultimedia/antiquepostcards.htm

              and click on "View this album as a slide show" and then click on "06".
              I can't get it to work by clicking directly on the slide… one aspect
              NPS doesn't have working yet.

              Now from this album slide show, click on "03". This is named "Bloody
              Lane 3" and shows the lane as photographed from the observation tower,
              probably taken between 1900 and 1904. The Lowman Cabin is clearly
              visible as is what appears to be the 14th Conn Inf.'s monument north
              of the Cabin. It is taken before 1904 because the 132nd PA Inf.
              Monument is not in place SE of the Roulette Lane intersection and
              after 1900 because I "believe" I can make out a white spot where the
              Old Vermont Brigade Monument would be. This photo is most interesting
              because if you continue west from the Lowman Cabin to where Mumma Lane
              would intersect Bloody Lane there is a second cabin, this one south of
              Bloody Lane. This might be the cabin Gerry M. was referring to as
              having been built by Henry Piper for his former slaves. Refer to pp.
              228 and 229 of "Too Afraid to Cry." These pages talk about Jerry
              Summers, a former slave, choosing to stay with Henry Piper. The
              reference says, "When Henry died, Summers and his wife, Susan, were
              rewarded for their loyalty with a cabin and garden plot near Bloody
              Lane." There's also a photo of Jerry on p. 228. Perhaps Brian B. or
              others that really know the battle park history could confirm that
              this was a second cabin built on Bloody Lane after the war.

              Regards,
              Ron Dickey

              --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, RoteBaron@... wrote:

              > It's along Bloody Lane to the north of Roulette Farm entrance.
              >
              > Antietam NPS has online map (PDF file) of monument locations at:
              > http://www.nps.gov/anti/planyourvisit/upload/monuments.pdf
              >
              > Tom Shay
              > From: "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@...>
              >
              > > Dear Tom,
              > >
              > > Thanks much!!! Where is the monument in relation to the Observation
              > > Tower?
              > >
              > > Yr. Obt. Svt.
              > > G E "Gerry" Mayers
              > >
              > > To Be A Virginian, either by birth, marriage, adoption, or even on
              > > one's mother's side, is an introduction to any state in the Union, a
              > > passport to any foreign country, and a benediction from the Almighty
              > > God. --Anonymous

            • Cory Newby
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 1, 2006
                Fantastic information! I am quite surprised to learn that the cabin stood approximately a century on such a prominent part of the battlefield without appearing in more photographs; but the surprise of its absence from more photos subsided somewhat when I realize that there are few significant photographic works detailing that portion of the Sunken Road during that period (the fine new collection of photographs on the redesigned NPS site notwithstanding).

                Thank you, Brian Baracz, Gerry Mayers and Ron Dickey.

                Very Best Regards,

                Cory Newby
                AntietamPhotography.com

                dickeyr46 <dickeyr46@...> wrote: To expand this thread a little….

              • T.R.Livesey
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 2, 2006
                  T.R. Livesey
                  tlivesey@...

                  Here are two "better" pictures of the Lowman House:

                  http://www.westwoodgalleries.com/lowman1.jpg
                  http://www.westwoodgalleries.com/lowman2.jpg

                  T.R. Livesey
                  tlivesey@...