House in question

  • fore.again
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 28, 2006
      A recent question to the group asked about a structure in the
      background of a photo posted on the NPS Antietam site. Albert Kern
      visited the battlefield numerous times and took many great pictures
      during the early 1900's. One of his images of the Sunken Road shows
      a man standing in the road and in the background is a house on the
      crest of a hill right on the Sunknen Road. The house in question is
      that of Henry Lowman. Lowman bought the land from the Mumma Family
      in 1873 and built the home that is in the picture. It was removed
      by the park in the late 1970's or early 80's because it was not
      there during the battle.
      It has been discovered that the Mumma Family owned quite a bit of
      land,even tracts that are west of Maryland Route 65. The Mummas
      did own the land on which the 130 PA monument sits today, which is
      also where the Lowman Cabin once stood.
      The park has no doubt that the building in this picture is that of
      the Lowman Cabin.

      Best,
      Brian Baracz
      Antietam National Battlefield
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 28, 2006
        Brian,

        Where is the monument to the 130th PA Volunteer Infantry? There is a
        Penna Volunteer Infantry on the north side of the Sunken Road, but
        IIRC, that is to the 132nd PVI and was originally supposed to be
        emplaced at Fredericksburg.

        God. --Anonymous
        >A recent question to the group asked about a structure in the
        > background of a photo posted on the NPS Antietam site. Albert Kern
        > visited the battlefield numerous times and took many great pictures
        > during the early 1900's. One of his images of the Sunken Road shows
        > a man standing in the road and in the background is a house on the
        > crest of a hill right on the Sunknen Road. The house in question is
        > that of Henry Lowman. Lowman bought the land from the Mumma Family
        > in 1873 and built the home that is in the picture. It was removed
        > by the park in the late 1970's or early 80's because it was not
        > there during the battle.
        > It has been discovered that the Mumma Family owned quite a bit of
        > land,even tracts that are west of Maryland Route 65. The Mummas
        > did own the land on which the 130 PA monument sits today, which is
        > also where the Lowman Cabin once stood.
        > The park has no doubt that the building in this picture is that of
        > the Lowman Cabin.
        >
        > Best,
        > Brian Baracz
        > Antietam National Battlefield
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Tom Shay
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 28, 2006
          Details on the 130th PA monument at available via VirtualAntietam.

          I hope this URL gets you to the right spot:
          http://www.virtualantietam.com/monuments/detail.cfm?curMon=100sr

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 28, 2006
            Dear Tom,

            Thanks much!!! Where is the monument in relation to the Observation
            Tower?

            God. --Anonymous

          • RoteBaron@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 29, 2006
              It's along Bloody Lane to the north of Roulette Farm entrance.

              Antietam NPS has online map (PDF file) of monument locations at:
              http://www.nps.gov/anti/planyourvisit/upload/monuments.pdf

              From: "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@...>

              > Dear Tom,
              >
              > Thanks much!!! Where is the monument in relation to the Observation
              > Tower?

              > God. --Anonymous

            • dickeyr46
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 31, 2006
                To expand this thread a little….

                The NPS Historical Handbook Series No. 31 (1960, revised 1961) has an
                excellent picture on p. 33 of the cabin Brian Baracz identified as the
                Lowman Cabin built around 1873. This photo is online at

                http://www.cr.nps.gov/history/online_books/hh/31/hh31m.htm

                It is looking NW down Bloody Lane toward the intersection with the
                Roulette Farm Lane. The photo is identified as "Sunken Road in 1877"
                and is a similar view to the old (circa 1900) B&W the NPS has posted
                to their new website and caused this thread to start. This Handbook
                photo provides a very clear view of the Lowman Cabin and its location
                north of Blody Lane on what has sometimes been referred to as
                Kimball's Knoll where today is located several Union monuments (130th
                PA Inf, 14th Conn Inf., 5th MD Inf., 14th Ind Inf., 1st Del Inf., and
                5th MD Inf. Cos A & I). There is also a companion Handbook photo
                identified as "The same view today." But, the "today" view is earlier
                than 1961 when the booklet was revised.

                There is also posted under the "Antique Postcard" link, a postcard,
                titled "Old Bloody Lane," with a similar view but after 1904 since the
                132nd PA Inf.'s monument is present. Try

                http://www.nps.gov/anti/photosmultimedia/antiquepostcards.htm

                and click on "View this album as a slide show" and then click on "06".
                I can't get it to work by clicking directly on the slide… one aspect
                NPS doesn't have working yet.

                Now from this album slide show, click on "03". This is named "Bloody
                Lane 3" and shows the lane as photographed from the observation tower,
                probably taken between 1900 and 1904. The Lowman Cabin is clearly
                visible as is what appears to be the 14th Conn Inf.'s monument north
                of the Cabin. It is taken before 1904 because the 132nd PA Inf.
                Monument is not in place SE of the Roulette Lane intersection and
                after 1900 because I "believe" I can make out a white spot where the
                Old Vermont Brigade Monument would be. This photo is most interesting
                because if you continue west from the Lowman Cabin to where Mumma Lane
                would intersect Bloody Lane there is a second cabin, this one south of
                Bloody Lane. This might be the cabin Gerry M. was referring to as
                having been built by Henry Piper for his former slaves. Refer to pp.
                228 and 229 of "Too Afraid to Cry." These pages talk about Jerry
                Summers, a former slave, choosing to stay with Henry Piper. The
                reference says, "When Henry died, Summers and his wife, Susan, were
                rewarded for their loyalty with a cabin and garden plot near Bloody
                Lane." There's also a photo of Jerry on p. 228. Perhaps Brian B. or
                others that really know the battle park history could confirm that
                this was a second cabin built on Bloody Lane after the war.

                Regards,
                Ron Dickey

                --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, RoteBaron@... wrote:

                > It's along Bloody Lane to the north of Roulette Farm entrance.
                >
                > Antietam NPS has online map (PDF file) of monument locations at:
                > http://www.nps.gov/anti/planyourvisit/upload/monuments.pdf
                >
                > Tom Shay
                > From: "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@...>
                >
                > > Dear Tom,
                > >
                > > Thanks much!!! Where is the monument in relation to the Observation
                > > Tower?
                > >
                > > Yr. Obt. Svt.
                > > G E "Gerry" Mayers
                > >
                > > To Be A Virginian, either by birth, marriage, adoption, or even on
                > > one's mother's side, is an introduction to any state in the Union, a
                > > passport to any foreign country, and a benediction from the Almighty
                > > God. --Anonymous

              • Cory Newby
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 1, 2006
                  Fantastic information! I am quite surprised to learn that the cabin stood approximately a century on such a prominent part of the battlefield without appearing in more photographs; but the surprise of its absence from more photos subsided somewhat when I realize that there are few significant photographic works detailing that portion of the Sunken Road during that period (the fine new collection of photographs on the redesigned NPS site notwithstanding).

                  Thank you, Brian Baracz, Gerry Mayers and Ron Dickey.

                  Very Best Regards,

                  Cory Newby
                  AntietamPhotography.com

                  dickeyr46 <dickeyr46@...> wrote: To expand this thread a little….

                • T.R.Livesey
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 2, 2006
                    T.R. Livesey
                    tlivesey@...

                    Here are two "better" pictures of the Lowman House:

                    http://www.westwoodgalleries.com/lowman1.jpg
                    http://www.westwoodgalleries.com/lowman2.jpg

                    T.R. Livesey
                    tlivesey@...