Re: [TalkAntietam] Photo of Sunken Road on Anbtietam NBP redesigned website

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 27, 2006
      Dear Cory,

      There are two photographs of the Sunken Road, known since the battle
      as Bloody Lane, in the link you cited re the new Antietam NBP website.

      The photograph you cited is a post war photograph. Sometime after the
      War, probably in the 1870s or 1880s. Mr. Piper who owned the cornfield
      just butting up against the Sunken Road on its Sharpsburg side (see
      the famous photographs of the Sunken Road taken by Alexander Gardner
      on September 19th for what I am referring to) apparently built a small
      house right near to the Sunken Road for some of his former slaves.,
      IIRC.

      I hope this helps.

      God. --Anonymous