Re: [TalkAntietam] Antietam NPS website redesigned

  • Cory Cory
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 26, 2006
      One of the exciting things about the newly designed site are the availability of new photographs which I have not seen before. One specifically has caught my eye and raised a question:

      http://www.nps.gov/anti/photosmultimedia/kerncollection.htm?eid=107666&aid=59&root_aid=59&sort=title&startRow=1#e_107666

      The photograph on the first row, second from the left entitled "Bloody Lane" depicts a man or a boy on the lane with what looks to be a structure in the background just beyond the perpendicular lane leading to the Roulette Farm. I have never seen this structure on the lane before. Is anyone familiar with this structure? None of my readings revealed its presence during the battle. Was it constructed after the war?

      Thanks in advance.

      Cory Newby
      Keedysville
      http;//www.AntietamPhotography.com

      RoteBaron@... wrote: Antietam NPS website has been redesigned. Take a look via: http://www.nps.gov/anti/

      On that website, there is a link to a PDF file for the anniversary hikes, but that file is not on the server (at this time). I did note there is a file at
      http://www.nps.gov/anti/planyourvisit/upload/Hikes06.pdf which contains the anniversary hikes schedule. I hope that's not the final edition, as it's rather generic and doesn't offer any of the unusual hikes we've come to expect for the anniversary.

      I tried sending an email to NPS via the webpage's link, but got a security error.

    • Brian Downey
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 26, 2006
        Thanks for the heads-up on this Tom. I like the way the new site
        works (but not how it's coded!). I've blogged a mini-review here:

        http://aotw.org/blog/2006/08/25/anb-park-website-redone/

        for what it's worth.

        I'm with you on the Anniversary hikes. Looks kinda thin. Part of the
        same problem we've talked of before?

        Brian

      • 128thpa@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 26, 2006
          Good analysis Brian. I do hope they get the broken links fixed and the downloads to the public domain photos. I used the public domain photos a great deal in my classroom. The students really enjoy them, and I use photos from all time periods as topics for essays and discussions.

          Paula

          From: "Brian Downey" <bdowney@...>
          Thanks for the heads-up on this Tom. I like the way the new site
          works (but not how it's coded!). I've blogged a mini-review here:

          http://aotw.org/blog/2006/08/25/anb-park-website-redone/

          for what it's worth.

          I'm with you on the Anniversary hikes. Looks kinda thin. Part of the
          same problem we've talked of before?

          Brian

          --- Visit Your Group
          Civil war history
          Civil war battle of antietam
          Civil war battles
          Civil war
          Yahoo! News
          Celebrity News
          Get the latest
          gossip/news
          Yahoo! TV
          Staying in tonight?
          Check Daily Picks &
          see what to watch.
          Y! GeoCities
          Create a Web Site
          Easy-to-use tools.
          Get started now..

        • Tom Shay
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 26, 2006
            Nice review by Brian. One big positive is that the park brochures are now
            available as PDFs.

            I will still go to Antietam for the anniversary weekend (likely on Saturday
            9-16). However, the anniversary tours seem to be essentially re-runs of
            prior years.

            IMHO, this entire year's offerings at Antietam have been a big
            disappointment when compared to any of the last 10 years. The off-the-beaten
            path tours were a significant inspiration for my many return trips to that
            field.