Re: Anniversary walks?

  • dickeyr46
    Message 1 of 35 , Aug 25, 2006
      Stephen and All

      NPS has uploaded their new Antietam website ...
      http://www.nps.gov/anti/index.htm

      Concurrent with the posting of the new site, they have also posted the
      schedule for the anniversary hikes. From the main page, click the
      "Event Schedule" under "Quicklinks." From there you can see the
      "Anniversary Hike" link. There will be 3 overview hikes, one for each
      of the 3 traditional phases designed for the first time visitor. There
      will also be 3 "Antietam in Depth" hikes for a more detailed study.

      The new site will take some exploring! Lots of new links, including
      the 1961 Antietam Handbook online.

      Regards,
      Ron Dickey

      > Does anyone know what the schedule is for ranger-led Anniversary walks
      > this year? The NPS site says the list will come out in late August, but
      > I'm too impatient to wait so I thought I'd ask. Thanks.
      >
      > Stephen

    • Scott Hann
      Message 35 of 35 , Aug 25, 2006
        Steve:

        The friend I mentioned is a mutual friend of yours: Brad Forbush
        bradleyandsue@.... He said the two of you were members of
        the Pasadena Civil War Round Table, and gave five talks on the 13th
        MA. He was wondering if you still remember his as a "13th MA guy."
        Anyway, here's what he wrote. I'll see you at the battlefield on
        one of the hikes.

        Scott

        "I have several references to Camp Jackson. That was the 13th Mass.
        camp in Williamsport. Oct - Feb. I tried to find the exact spot
        two years ago when I traveled to Williamsport, but I think I-81 runs
        through it today. I haven't followed up on that yet though with the
        Hagerstown Library. I have a book that states the 13th Mass Camped
        in the Bowery Woods on Springfield Farm. That is the farm of
        Revolutionary War Hero Otho Williams. (I believe his name is
        Otho.) I believe his house and barn still stand and are marked as
        an historic site in Williamsport, but I don't know specifically
        where the Bowery woods were."

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Hann"