Antietam NPS website redesigned

  • RoteBaron@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 25, 2006
      Antietam NPS website has been redesigned. Take a look via: http://www.nps.gov/anti/

      On that website, there is a link to a PDF file for the anniversary hikes, but that file is not on the server (at this time). I did note there is a file at
      http://www.nps.gov/anti/planyourvisit/upload/Hikes06.pdf which contains the anniversary hikes schedule. I hope that's not the final edition, as it's rather generic and doesn't offer any of the unusual hikes we've come to expect for the anniversary.

      I tried sending an email to NPS via the webpage's link, but got a security error.

    • Cory Cory
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 26, 2006
        One of the exciting things about the newly designed site are the availability of new photographs which I have not seen before. One specifically has caught my eye and raised a question:

        http://www.nps.gov/anti/photosmultimedia/kerncollection.htm?eid=107666&aid=59&root_aid=59&sort=title&startRow=1#e_107666

        The photograph on the first row, second from the left entitled "Bloody Lane" depicts a man or a boy on the lane with what looks to be a structure in the background just beyond the perpendicular lane leading to the Roulette Farm. I have never seen this structure on the lane before. Is anyone familiar with this structure? None of my readings revealed its presence during the battle. Was it constructed after the war?

        Thanks in advance.

        Cory Newby
        Keedysville
        http;//www.AntietamPhotography.com

        RoteBaron@... wrote: Antietam NPS website has been redesigned. Take a look via: http://www.nps.gov/anti/

        On that website, there is a link to a PDF file for the anniversary hikes, but that file is not on the server (at this time). I did note there is a file at
        http://www.nps.gov/anti/planyourvisit/upload/Hikes06.pdf which contains the anniversary hikes schedule. I hope that's not the final edition, as it's rather generic and doesn't offer any of the unusual hikes we've come to expect for the anniversary.

        I tried sending an email to NPS via the webpage's link, but got a security error.

      • Brian Downey
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 26, 2006
          Thanks for the heads-up on this Tom. I like the way the new site
          works (but not how it's coded!). I've blogged a mini-review here:

          http://aotw.org/blog/2006/08/25/anb-park-website-redone/

          for what it's worth.

          I'm with you on the Anniversary hikes. Looks kinda thin. Part of the
          same problem we've talked of before?

          Brian

        • 128thpa@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 26, 2006
            Good analysis Brian. I do hope they get the broken links fixed and the downloads to the public domain photos. I used the public domain photos a great deal in my classroom. The students really enjoy them, and I use photos from all time periods as topics for essays and discussions.

            Paula

            From: "Brian Downey" <bdowney@...>
            Thanks for the heads-up on this Tom. I like the way the new site
            works (but not how it's coded!). I've blogged a mini-review here:

            http://aotw.org/blog/2006/08/25/anb-park-website-redone/

            for what it's worth.

            I'm with you on the Anniversary hikes. Looks kinda thin. Part of the
            same problem we've talked of before?

            Brian

            --- Visit Your Group
            Civil war history
            Civil war battle of antietam
            Civil war battles
            Civil war
            Yahoo! News
            Celebrity News
            Get the latest
            gossip/news
            Yahoo! TV
            Staying in tonight?
            Check Daily Picks &
            see what to watch.
            Y! GeoCities
            Create a Web Site
            Easy-to-use tools.
            Get started now..

          • Tom Shay
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 26, 2006
              Nice review by Brian. One big positive is that the park brochures are now
              available as PDFs.

              I will still go to Antietam for the anniversary weekend (likely on Saturday
              9-16). However, the anniversary tours seem to be essentially re-runs of
              prior years.

              IMHO, this entire year's offerings at Antietam have been a big
              disappointment when compared to any of the last 10 years. The off-the-beaten
              path tours were a significant inspiration for my many return trips to that
              field.