Re: Camp Jackson in Williamsport

  • tommygeebassman
    Message 1 of 35 , Aug 23, 2006

      > I just bought a letter written by a fellow in the 13th MA. It was
      > mailed from Camp Jackson in Williamsport, MD in February, 1862. Does
      > anyone know where that was? Thanks.
      >
      > Stephen

      Stephen, I am a new member of the group .. I always am intrigued by
      questions like yours, so I did a little research .. the only reference
      to Camp Jackson that I found was the following
      http://www.galegroup.com/pdf/scguides/unitedstates/ussccirrollconts.pdf
      .. scroll down to line 72 of this PDF file "Camp Inspection Returns
      1861-1864" .. you will see a reference to the 29th Pennsylvania
      Infantry located at "Camp Jackson near Sandy Hook, Maryland, August
      13, 1861" .. I then researched the 29th Pennsylvania .. see
      http://www.pa-roots.com/~pacw/infantry/29th/29thorg.html ..they were
      originally known as the "Jackson Regiment" which may have led to the
      naming of the camp (the regiment was mustered in a few months earlier
      than the date on the above reference,in May, 1861) .. I then did a
      close study of my "Official Military Atlas" but didn't find a Camp
      ackson anywhere around Sandy Hook .. maybe Camp Jackson was an
      unofficial name? By the time your letter was written the 29th Pa had
      apparently moved on .. perhaps it was used as a training base or
      something like that.. I'll keep looking around .. hope this helps a
      little .. Tom Gilbert
    • Scott Hann
      Message 35 of 35 , Aug 25, 2006
        Steve:

        The friend I mentioned is a mutual friend of yours: Brad Forbush
        bradleyandsue@.... He said the two of you were members of
        the Pasadena Civil War Round Table, and gave five talks on the 13th
        MA. He was wondering if you still remember his as a "13th MA guy."
        Anyway, here's what he wrote. I'll see you at the battlefield on
        one of the hikes.

        Scott

        "I have several references to Camp Jackson. That was the 13th Mass.
        camp in Williamsport. Oct - Feb. I tried to find the exact spot
        two years ago when I traveled to Williamsport, but I think I-81 runs
        through it today. I haven't followed up on that yet though with the
        Hagerstown Library. I have a book that states the 13th Mass Camped
        in the Bowery Woods on Springfield Farm. That is the farm of
        Revolutionary War Hero Otho Williams. (I believe his name is
        Otho.) I believe his house and barn still stand and are marked as
        an historic site in Williamsport, but I don't know specifically
        where the Bowery woods were."

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Hann"