Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Camp Jackson in Williamsport

    Message 1 of 35 , Aug 23, 2006
      Scott,

      Great to hear from you. I was starting to think that everyone had
      abandoned this list. BTW, missed you in Richmond last weekend. Decent
      show. I haven't read Davis' book, but have it on order.

      I have both an envelope and a letter from Company C, 13th MA.

      The letter was written by: FRANCIS A. BRADBURY; age, 24; born,
      Newburyport, Mass.; grocer; mustered in as priv., Co. C, July 16, '61;
      transferred, Nov. 15, '63, to V.R.C.

      The envelope was sent by: SAMUEL L. GREEN; age, 21; born, Medford,
      Mass.; foreman Maiden car stables; mustered in as priv., Co. C, Feb.
      13, '62; mustered out. Dec. 19, '62; wounded, Aug. 30, '62; residence.
      Maiden, Mass.

      It looks like Green was wounded at Second Manassass, but Bradbury
      apparently made it through Antietam. Thanks for your help.

      Stephen

      On Tuesday, August 22, 2006, at 11:53 PM, Scott Hann wrote:

      > Hi Stephen,
      >
      > This weekend I was contacted by a historian who is writing a new
      > regimental history of the 13th MA. I'll drop him a line and see if he
      > knows where your camp is at. In the meantime, did you check the
      > regimental history by Charles E. Davis? Also, the veterans of the
      > regiment published annual "circulars" which include information not
      > found in the regimental history. Give me the name of your soldier and
      > I'll see what I can find. And if he was a member of Company B chances
      > are I have a photograph of him.
      >
      > Scott
    • Scott Hann
      Message 35 of 35 , Aug 25, 2006
        Steve:

        The friend I mentioned is a mutual friend of yours: Brad Forbush
        bradleyandsue@.... He said the two of you were members of
        the Pasadena Civil War Round Table, and gave five talks on the 13th
        MA. He was wondering if you still remember his as a "13th MA guy."
        Anyway, here's what he wrote. I'll see you at the battlefield on
        one of the hikes.

        Scott

        "I have several references to Camp Jackson. That was the 13th Mass.
        camp in Williamsport. Oct - Feb. I tried to find the exact spot
        two years ago when I traveled to Williamsport, but I think I-81 runs
        through it today. I haven't followed up on that yet though with the
        Hagerstown Library. I have a book that states the 13th Mass Camped
        in the Bowery Woods on Springfield Farm. That is the farm of
        Revolutionary War Hero Otho Williams. (I believe his name is
        Otho.) I believe his house and barn still stand and are marked as
        an historic site in Williamsport, but I don't know specifically
        where the Bowery woods were."

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Hann"