Re: Camp Jackson in Williamsport

  • Scott Hann
    Message 1 of 35 , Aug 22, 2006
      Hi Stephen,

      This weekend I was contacted by a historian who is writing a new
      regimental history of the 13th MA. I'll drop him a line and see if he
      knows where your camp is at. In the meantime, did you check the
      regimental history by Charles E. Davis? Also, the veterans of the
      regiment published annual "circulars" which include information not
      found in the regimental history. Give me the name of your soldier and
      I'll see what I can find. And if he was a member of Company B chances
      are I have a photograph of him.

      Scott
    • Scott Hann
      Message 35 of 35 , Aug 25, 2006
        Steve:

        The friend I mentioned is a mutual friend of yours: Brad Forbush
        bradleyandsue@.... He said the two of you were members of
        the Pasadena Civil War Round Table, and gave five talks on the 13th
        MA. He was wondering if you still remember his as a "13th MA guy."
        Anyway, here's what he wrote. I'll see you at the battlefield on
        one of the hikes.

        Scott

        "I have several references to Camp Jackson. That was the 13th Mass.
        camp in Williamsport. Oct - Feb. I tried to find the exact spot
        two years ago when I traveled to Williamsport, but I think I-81 runs
        through it today. I haven't followed up on that yet though with the
        Hagerstown Library. I have a book that states the 13th Mass Camped
        in the Bowery Woods on Springfield Farm. That is the farm of
        Revolutionary War Hero Otho Williams. (I believe his name is
        Otho.) I believe his house and barn still stand and are marked as
        an historic site in Williamsport, but I don't know specifically
        where the Bowery woods were."

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Hann"