Re: Christ Reformed Church, Middletown, MD (was: Conf. signal station)

  • jeffcowvplanning
    Message 1 of 35 , Aug 17, 2006
      Brian...
      I live a block from the Lutheran Church (and recently joined the
      church). I see the plaque every week, but never looked that
      closely. I went up the other night to re-read it, and as I
      recalled...it mentions only the use as a hospital, and nothing about
      as a signal station.

      I tapped into that discussion group to see the chatter on the topic.
      Do feel free to post the question (who can document whether it was
      the Lutheran or Reformed steeple used as a signal station in the
      Antietam and Gettysburg campaigns?) to see what the response would be.

      Thanks for the help.

      Steve

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Downey" <bdowney@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Jeff, all,
      >
      > I've just twigged to a related discussion about this on the SCARD
      > Signal Corps (http://www.cwoodcock.com/forum/db_TalkToMeV2.cgi)
      > discussion group. One of the posters there remembers seeing
      a "bronze
      > plaque", probably on the Lutheran Church in Middletown, presumably
      > attesting to the use as a signal station in 1862.
      >
      > This can't be that hard to verify. Is there such a plaque? If so,
      > what does it say?
      >
      > I'll certainly be up that way at least once in September, and could
      > stop in, but perhaps someone living closer than I could verify this
      > sooner?
      >
      > Regards,
      > Brian
      >
      > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "jeffcowvplanning"
      > <jeffcowvplanning@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Stephen...
      > >
      > > I am the one researching Middletown for an anticipated local
      history
      > > of the town and how it was impacted by the war.
      > >
      > > I would love to get a copy of the two postcards you mention for
      the
      > > book. I wish I could find authentication of the claims that it
      was
      > > used ty McClellan and the signal corps, as I can find none. But,
      the
      > > local lore seems hard and fast, and goes back a long time.
      > >
      > > I will get a copy of your CD. Thanks for mentioning it to me.
      > >
      > > I don't know your direct email address. Please email me at
      > > bockmiller at adelphia dot net.
      > >
      > > Thanks.
      > > Steve Bockmiller
      > > Middletown
      > >
      > > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Recker <recker@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I am not sure who it is that is doing all of the research on
      > > > Middletown, but I just got back from a postcard show with a
      card
      > > that
      > > > has a photo of a church with this heading: Christ Reformed
      Church,
      > > > Middletown, MD. Ge. McClellan was in the steeple with signal
      corps
      > > > during Battle of South Mountain-Church used as hospital during
      and
      > > > after battle.
      > > >
      > > > If you wish to copy this for your book, contact me directly.
      They
      > > also
      > > > has a nice real photo postcard of Main Street Middletown from
      1872.
      > > > can direct you to them if you wish.
      > > >
      > > > BTW (shameless plug) I bought this postcard to include in my
      new
      > > > CD-ROM: Antietam Artifacts - Early Postcards of the Maryland
      > > Campaign
      > > > of 1862. You can get it in the visitor center at Antietam.
      > > >
      > > > Stephen

      > > it)
      > > observed
      > > the
      > > the
      > > Reformed

    • Scott Hann
      Message 35 of 35 , Aug 25, 2006
        Steve:

        The friend I mentioned is a mutual friend of yours: Brad Forbush
        bradleyandsue@.... He said the two of you were members of
        the Pasadena Civil War Round Table, and gave five talks on the 13th
        MA. He was wondering if you still remember his as a "13th MA guy."
        Anyway, here's what he wrote. I'll see you at the battlefield on
        one of the hikes.

        Scott

        "I have several references to Camp Jackson. That was the 13th Mass.
        camp in Williamsport. Oct - Feb. I tried to find the exact spot
        two years ago when I traveled to Williamsport, but I think I-81 runs
        through it today. I haven't followed up on that yet though with the
        Hagerstown Library. I have a book that states the 13th Mass Camped
        in the Bowery Woods on Springfield Farm. That is the farm of
        Revolutionary War Hero Otho Williams. (I believe his name is
        Otho.) I believe his house and barn still stand and are marked as
        an historic site in Williamsport, but I don't know specifically
        where the Bowery woods were."

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Hann"