Re: Christ Reformed Church, Middletown, MD (was: Conf. signal station)

  • Brian Downey
    Message 1 of 35 , Aug 16, 2006
      Hi Jeff, all,

      I've just twigged to a related discussion about this on the SCARD
      Signal Corps (http://www.cwoodcock.com/forum/db_TalkToMeV2.cgi)
      discussion group. One of the posters there remembers seeing a "bronze
      plaque", probably on the Lutheran Church in Middletown, presumably
      attesting to the use as a signal station in 1862.

      This can't be that hard to verify. Is there such a plaque? If so,
      what does it say?

      I'll certainly be up that way at least once in September, and could
      stop in, but perhaps someone living closer than I could verify this
      sooner?

      Regards,
      Brian

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "jeffcowvplanning"
      <jeffcowvplanning@...> wrote:

      > Stephen...
      >
      > I am the one researching Middletown for an anticipated local history
      > of the town and how it was impacted by the war.
      >
      > I would love to get a copy of the two postcards you mention for the
      > book. I wish I could find authentication of the claims that it was
      > used ty McClellan and the signal corps, as I can find none. But, the
      > local lore seems hard and fast, and goes back a long time.
      >
      > I will get a copy of your CD. Thanks for mentioning it to me.
      >
      > I don't know your direct email address. Please email me at
      > bockmiller at adelphia dot net.
      >
      > Thanks.
      > Steve Bockmiller
      > Middletown
      >
      > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Recker <recker@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > I am not sure who it is that is doing all of the research on
      > > Middletown, but I just got back from a postcard show with a card
      > that
      > > has a photo of a church with this heading: Christ Reformed Church,
      > > Middletown, MD. Ge. McClellan was in the steeple with signal corps
      > > during Battle of South Mountain-Church used as hospital during and
      > > after battle.
      > >
      > > If you wish to copy this for your book, contact me directly. They
      > also
      > > has a nice real photo postcard of Main Street Middletown from 1872.
      > > can direct you to them if you wish.
      > >
      > > BTW (shameless plug) I bought this postcard to include in my new
      > > CD-ROM: Antietam Artifacts - Early Postcards of the Maryland
      > Campaign
      > > of 1862. You can get it in the visitor center at Antietam.
      > >
      > > Stephen
      > >

      > > On Monday, January 9, 2006, at 09:05 PM, jeffcowvplanning wrote:
      > >
      > > > On the other hand local lore (yes...take it for what you paid for
      > it)
      > > > implies the Reformed Church, with local lore that McClellan
      > observed
      > > > part of the battle from the Reformed Church steeple. I speculated
      > > > (with no evidence) that if the Lutheran Church was being used as
      > the
      > > > primary hospital in town the day before and of the battle, would
      > the
      > > > signal corps use it if the bell deck in the steeple at the
      > Reformed
      > > > Church was about the same elevation and fewer casualties housed at
      > > > the Reformed Church?

    • Scott Hann
      Message 35 of 35 , Aug 25, 2006
        Steve:

        The friend I mentioned is a mutual friend of yours: Brad Forbush
        bradleyandsue@.... He said the two of you were members of
        the Pasadena Civil War Round Table, and gave five talks on the 13th
        MA. He was wondering if you still remember his as a "13th MA guy."
        Anyway, here's what he wrote. I'll see you at the battlefield on
        one of the hikes.

        Scott

        "I have several references to Camp Jackson. That was the 13th Mass.
        camp in Williamsport. Oct - Feb. I tried to find the exact spot
        two years ago when I traveled to Williamsport, but I think I-81 runs
        through it today. I haven't followed up on that yet though with the
        Hagerstown Library. I have a book that states the 13th Mass Camped
        in the Bowery Woods on Springfield Farm. That is the farm of
        Revolutionary War Hero Otho Williams. (I believe his name is
        Otho.) I believe his house and barn still stand and are marked as
        an historic site in Williamsport, but I don't know specifically
        where the Bowery woods were."

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Hann"