Re: Re Sumner and West Woods

  • Brian Downey
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 11 8:37 AM
      Hi Gerry,

      The Carman-Cope map for the period 9-9:30 AM, which should cover
      maximum penetration by Sedgwick, has the regiments of Gorman's Brigade
      up to and on the eastern fields of the farm, but not as far as the
      farmhouse. Not further west than that, so I'd say not "out beyond" it.

      Map at the Library of Congress here:
      http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?collId=milmap&action=browse&fileName=gmd384m/g3842m/g3842am/gcw0247000/ct_browse.db&displayType=3&maxCols=3&recNum=0&itemLink=r?ammem/gmd:@field(NUMBER+@band(g3842am+gcw0247000))&title2=Atlas+of+the+battlefield+of+Antietam+%2f+&linkText=Back+to+bibliographic+information
      ... interpreted at AotW here: http://aotw.org/maps.php?map_number=5

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 11 8:40 AM
        Thanks, Brian!

        God. --Anonymous
        > The Carman-Cope map for the period 9-9:30 AM, which should cover
        > maximum penetration by Sedgwick, has the regiments of Gorman's
        > Brigade
        > up to and on the eastern fields of the farm, but not as far as the
        > farmhouse. Not further west than that, so I'd say not "out beyond"
        > it.
        >
        > Map at the Library of Congress here:
        > http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?collId=milmap&action=browse&fileName=gmd384m/g3842m/g3842am/gcw0247000/ct_browse.db&displayType=3&maxCols=3&recNum=0&itemLink=r?ammem/gmd:@field(NUMBER+@band(g3842am+gcw0247000))&title2=Atlas+of+the+battlefield+of+Antietam+%2f+&linkText=Back+to+bibliographic+information
        > ... interpreted at AotW here: http://aotw.org/maps.php?map_number=5
        >
        > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@...>
        > wrote:
        >>
        >> Gang,
        >>
        >> Can anyone tell me if Sumner effectively pushed Sedgwick's division
        >> out beyond the Alfred Poffenberger farm?
        >>
        >> Thanks!
        >>
        >> Yr. Obt. Svt.
        >> G E "Gerry" Mayers
        >>
        >> To Be A Virginian, either by birth, marriage, adoption, or even on
        >> one's mother's side, is an introduction to any state in the Union,
        >> passport to any foreign country, and a benediction from the
        >> Almighty
        >> God. --Anonymous
        >>

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • dickeyr46
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 11 11:17 AM

          Just to support Brian's response, take a look at four of the OR
          reports AotW has online as references. Look at Maj HJ Williams' report
          for Winder's Brigade and Capt Frank C. Wilson's report for the 27th
          Vir. Inf. They have pretty good descriptions of Jackson's forces
          positioning west of the West Woods. LTC John W. Kimball's report for
          the 15th Mass. Inf. addresses how close his soldiers got to the the
          barn and hay stacks of the farm. Finally, Capt PH Loud's report for
          the 10th Ga. Inf. (Semmes Brigade) addresses McLaws' attack through
          this area. All of these reports talk about "barn, straw-stacks,
          stack-yard, ledge of rocks, pile of rocks, hay stacks, and buildings"
          From these reports it is pretty clear that the farm and farm buildings
          were always occupied by Jackson's men.

          Regards,
          Ron Dickey