Re Sumner and West Woods

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 11, 2006
      Gang,

      Can anyone tell me if Sumner effectively pushed Sedgwick's division
      out beyond the Alfred Poffenberger farm?

      Thanks!

      God. --Anonymous
    • Brian Downey
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 11, 2006
        Hi Gerry,

        The Carman-Cope map for the period 9-9:30 AM, which should cover
        maximum penetration by Sedgwick, has the regiments of Gorman's Brigade
        up to and on the eastern fields of the farm, but not as far as the
        farmhouse. Not further west than that, so I'd say not "out beyond" it.

        Map at the Library of Congress here:
        http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?collId=milmap&action=browse&fileName=gmd384m/g3842m/g3842am/gcw0247000/ct_browse.db&displayType=3&maxCols=3&recNum=0&itemLink=r?ammem/gmd:@field(NUMBER+@band(g3842am+gcw0247000))&title2=Atlas+of+the+battlefield+of+Antietam+%2f+&linkText=Back+to+bibliographic+information
        ... interpreted at AotW here: http://aotw.org/maps.php?map_number=5

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 11, 2006
          Thanks, Brian!

          God. --Anonymous
          > The Carman-Cope map for the period 9-9:30 AM, which should cover
          > maximum penetration by Sedgwick, has the regiments of Gorman's
          > Brigade
          > up to and on the eastern fields of the farm, but not as far as the
          > farmhouse. Not further west than that, so I'd say not "out beyond"
          > it.
          >
          > Map at the Library of Congress here:
          > http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?collId=milmap&action=browse&fileName=gmd384m/g3842m/g3842am/gcw0247000/ct_browse.db&displayType=3&maxCols=3&recNum=0&itemLink=r?ammem/gmd:@field(NUMBER+@band(g3842am+gcw0247000))&title2=Atlas+of+the+battlefield+of+Antietam+%2f+&linkText=Back+to+bibliographic+information
          > ... interpreted at AotW here: http://aotw.org/maps.php?map_number=5
          >
          > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@...>
          > wrote:
          >>
          >> Gang,
          >>
          >> Can anyone tell me if Sumner effectively pushed Sedgwick's division
          >> out beyond the Alfred Poffenberger farm?
          >>
          >> Thanks!
          >>
          >> Yr. Obt. Svt.
          >> G E "Gerry" Mayers
          >>
          >> To Be A Virginian, either by birth, marriage, adoption, or even on
          >> one's mother's side, is an introduction to any state in the Union,
          >> passport to any foreign country, and a benediction from the
          >> Almighty
          >> God. --Anonymous
          >>

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • dickeyr46
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 11, 2006

            Just to support Brian's response, take a look at four of the OR
            reports AotW has online as references. Look at Maj HJ Williams' report
            for Winder's Brigade and Capt Frank C. Wilson's report for the 27th
            Vir. Inf. They have pretty good descriptions of Jackson's forces
            positioning west of the West Woods. LTC John W. Kimball's report for
            the 15th Mass. Inf. addresses how close his soldiers got to the the
            barn and hay stacks of the farm. Finally, Capt PH Loud's report for
            the 10th Ga. Inf. (Semmes Brigade) addresses McLaws' attack through
            this area. All of these reports talk about "barn, straw-stacks,
            stack-yard, ledge of rocks, pile of rocks, hay stacks, and buildings"
            From these reports it is pretty clear that the farm and farm buildings
            were always occupied by Jackson's men.

            Regards,
            Ron Dickey