Re: [TalkAntietam] A Balaklava of Their Own - The 7th Maine at Antietam

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 24, 2006
      The author is a friend of mine, and i was going to call him tonight
      anyway. Shall I ask where he got the photo? I will put him in touch
      with you if he is amenable to the idea.

      >>> antietamcollector@... 07/24/06 2:16 PM >>>
      I just picked up the September 2006 issue of "America's Civil War" and
      saw one of my favorite Antietam regiments, the 7th Maine, as the
      featured article. Is the author, T. Jeff Driscoll, a member of our
      site, or does anyone know who I can reach him? I'm curious about the
      photo used on page 28. It shows seven unidentified members of the
      regiment, and is identical to a photo in my collection.
    • Scott Hann
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 24, 2006
        Hello Tom,

        Years ago I brought my image to the USMHI to be photographed for their
        archives, and this is who is credited in the article. I'm wondering
        if it was my image that was used, but computer enhanced and a border
        added, or if this image exists in another format. Mine is an albumen,
        while the one in the article appears to be a CDV or gallery card. For
        years I've been trying to identify the men in the image with no luck,
        other than the fact that the two men in the back row appear to be
        Indians from the Penobscot Tribe.

        Thanks for contacting your friend. It's too bad that I didn't know
        ahead of time that he was writing his aricle because I could have
        provided him with a view of Adj. Haskell (mortally wounded) and an
        early war view of Major Hyde.

        Scott