A Balaklava of Their Own - The 7th Maine at Antietam

  • Scott Hann
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 24, 2006
      I just picked up the September 2006 issue of "America's Civil War" and
      saw one of my favorite Antietam regiments, the 7th Maine, as the
      featured article. Is the author, T. Jeff Driscoll, a member of our
      site, or does anyone know who I can reach him? I'm curious about the
      photo used on page 28. It shows seven unidentified members of the
      regiment, and is identical to a photo in my collection.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 24, 2006
        The author is a friend of mine, and i was going to call him tonight
        anyway. Shall I ask where he got the photo? I will put him in touch
        with you if he is amenable to the idea.

        >>> antietamcollector@... 07/24/06 2:16 PM >>>
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 24, 2006
          Hello Tom,

          Years ago I brought my image to the USMHI to be photographed for their
          archives, and this is who is credited in the article. I'm wondering
          if it was my image that was used, but computer enhanced and a border
          added, or if this image exists in another format. Mine is an albumen,
          while the one in the article appears to be a CDV or gallery card. For
          years I've been trying to identify the men in the image with no luck,
          other than the fact that the two men in the back row appear to be
          Indians from the Penobscot Tribe.

          Thanks for contacting your friend. It's too bad that I didn't know
          ahead of time that he was writing his aricle because I could have
          provided him with a view of Adj. Haskell (mortally wounded) and an
          early war view of Major Hyde.

          Scott