Re: corn

  • oliverg25@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 27, 2001
      --- In TalkAntietam@y..., Bill & Glenna Jo Christen <gwjchris@r...>
      wrote:
      > Mr. Gamble,
      >
      > I meant no offense and apologize nonetheless.

      I noted you sarcastic tone and I responded to it.

      > Many of us who have been on the GDG, ADG, Talk Antietam and the
      Eastern
      > Battlefields DG have learned to expand our reasoning and
      interpretation based
      > on fresh analysis or new ways of seeing and thinking about what has
      been
      > written on the battle...especially some of the fanciful stuff from
      the time
      > of the deaths of the veterans to the writings of those educated in
      the
      > 1930-1970s about CW history.

      I belong to the GDG, ADG, HDG and this group. Mostly I lurk and read
      the archives to gain information.
      I don't post in the HDG as the subjects are way over my head. I am
      not that well educated about English History or the World Wars. But I
      have noticed that those that post are treated with courtesy and
      respect.
      I must say this group seems to be the most clanish. Here, it seems,
      only a select few are allowed to post as they like.

      Anything from outsiders brings ridicule and sarcastic replies like
      yours to me.
      I will therefore not bother you again.

      I would ask if the density of the corn planting in Miller's Field is
      so off topic, why is the inability of someone to read a recipe and
      know the difference between Baking Powder and Baking Soda ON topic?

      O.G.
    • TR Livesey
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 28, 2001
        Bill,

        Setting aside the issue about how chewed up the cornfield was...I
        am still curious about the potential concealment a 19th century
        Sharpsburg area cornfield might offer. Any idea about how far one
        could see into such a cornfield?

        TRL

        Bill & Glenna Jo Christen wrote:

        > oliverg25@... wrote:
        >
        > > Not So!
        > > Once the corn is planted a horse never goes into the field.
        >
        > While researching the type of corn planting in the fields around Sharpsburg
        > for the Antietam documentary it was determined that the area farmers used the
        > "mounds spaced evenly apart" technique. That is, the "row's" were evenly
        > spaced in all directions. This is thinner than today's typical row planting
        > or what some farmer in pennsylvania may have done. The points made about the
        > devastation due to the firing bear more weight on the amount of cover.
        >
        > Bill Christen

      • Bill & Glenna Jo Christen
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 30, 2001
          TR Livesey wrote:

          > I am still curious about the potential concealment a 19th century
          > Sharpsburg area cornfield might offer. Any idea about how far one
          > could see into such a cornfield?

          TR,

          From what I understand mature corn could range from five to eight feet tall in the
          mid-1860s...depending on variety, growing conditions, etc. Not all farmers planted
          in the evenly spaced mounds. I would suspect the flags and riffle with bayonets
          could be seen most of the time. If we were giving this a wargaming factor I would
          at a "shift" for partial concealment, but no modifier for protection. We did some
          filming in a tall crop of mounded corn in Michigan. It did obscure the soldiers
          from view once they were six feet into the corn.

          This sounds like a useful experimental anthropology problem for which enactors
          would be useful.

          Bill

          > > oliverg25@... wrote:
          > >
          > > > Not So!
          > > > Once the corn is planted a horse never goes into the field.
          > >
          > > While researching the type of corn planting in the fields around Sharpsburg
          > > for the Antietam documentary it was determined that the area farmers used the
          > > "mounds spaced evenly apart" technique. That is, the "row's" were evenly
          > > spaced in all directions. This is thinner than today's typical row planting
          > > or what some farmer in pennsylvania may have done. The points made about the
          > > devastation due to the firing bear more weight on the amount of cover.
          > >
          > > Bill Christen

          gwjchris@...
          Visit our web site, "The Curiosity Shop"
          http://www.rust.net/~gwjchris/
        • TR Livesey
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 30, 2001
            Bill,