Christ Reformed Church, Middletown, MD (was: Conf. signal station)

    Message 1 of 35 , Jul 8, 2006
      I am not sure who it is that is doing all of the research on
      Middletown, but I just got back from a postcard show with a card that
      has a photo of a church with this heading: Christ Reformed Church,
      Middletown, MD. Ge. McClellan was in the steeple with signal corps
      during Battle of South Mountain-Church used as hospital during and
      after battle.

      If you wish to copy this for your book, contact me directly. They also
      has a nice real photo postcard of Main Street Middletown from 1872. I
      can direct you to them if you wish.

      BTW (shameless plug) I bought this postcard to include in my new
      CD-ROM: Antietam Artifacts - Early Postcards of the Maryland Campaign
      of 1862. You can get it in the visitor center at Antietam.

      Stephen

      On Monday, January 9, 2006, at 09:05 PM, jeffcowvplanning wrote:

      > On the other hand local lore (yes...take it for what you paid for it)
      > implies the Reformed Church, with local lore that McClellan observed
      > part of the battle from the Reformed Church steeple. I speculated
      > (with no evidence) that if the Lutheran Church was being used as the
      > primary hospital in town the day before and of the battle, would the
      > signal corps use it if the bell deck in the steeple at the Reformed
      > Church was about the same elevation and fewer casualties housed at
      > the Reformed Church?
    • Scott Hann
      Message 35 of 35 , Aug 25, 2006
        Steve:

        The friend I mentioned is a mutual friend of yours: Brad Forbush
        bradleyandsue@.... He said the two of you were members of
        the Pasadena Civil War Round Table, and gave five talks on the 13th
        MA. He was wondering if you still remember his as a "13th MA guy."
        Anyway, here's what he wrote. I'll see you at the battlefield on
        one of the hikes.

        Scott

        "I have several references to Camp Jackson. That was the 13th Mass.
        camp in Williamsport. Oct - Feb. I tried to find the exact spot
        two years ago when I traveled to Williamsport, but I think I-81 runs
        through it today. I haven't followed up on that yet though with the
        Hagerstown Library. I have a book that states the 13th Mass Camped
        in the Bowery Woods on Springfield Farm. That is the farm of
        Revolutionary War Hero Otho Williams. (I believe his name is
        Otho.) I believe his house and barn still stand and are marked as
        an historic site in Williamsport, but I don't know specifically
        where the Bowery woods were."

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Hann"