Re: [TalkAntietam] Artillery Weekend (more followup)

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 13, 2006
      Tom;

      LOL... I was referring to the NPS plans with respects to the website,
      etc.

      God. --Anonymous
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 13, 2006
        Yes that is pretty much it. The Misfire Drill that the NPS uses is
        based on the one in French, Barry & Hunt's Artillery Drill 1860. It was
        not unusual in the 1860's, and the government issued 75 friction primers
        with every 50 rounds of ammo. This provided for practice firing,
        misfires, loss, etc.
        The current problem, and what we experienced Saturday and Sunday several
        times, is that the repro primers are not made like the originals, and
        when they fail, they get stuck in the vent. That creates a much more
        dangerous situation because the cannoneer must stay in there near the
        vent longer to clear it, and must often drive the old primer tube down
        into the cartridge, making it into a projectile. Not good. If the
        primer is still hot enough, it can even cause the gun to prematurely
        discharge.
        I say all of this because I wish someone would accurately reproduce the
        original primer, which when it failed could be easily removed from the
        vent. As always, the question is money, but for safety reasons, many
        artillery enthusiasts, and more importantly the NPS, would bless the
        name of someone who could do it. My two cents worth, sorry about the
        rant.
        Tom C

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 5, 2006
          I was at a book store this weekend and read in a book about a regiment
          in a brigade (Union) approaching the Sunken Road. The brigade, I
          believe it was in French's Division, started getting fire from the rear
          from another Union brigade in its division. They moved to the side and
          the friendly fire stopped.

          I went back to buy the book, "War From the Inside", the story of the
          132nd PA, and read the book but can't find the friendly fire anecdote.
          I know I looked in a million books that day, but was pretty sure that
          was the book. Any ideas where that might've been I was looking? Thanks.