Re: [TalkAntietam] Artillery Weekend (more followup)

  • RoteBaron@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 13, 2006
      Apparently the friction primer did not ignite the powder charge, so the powder remained in the tube after the other guns had fired. The cannoneers made it immediately know to NPS personnel, and the potential danger (to the cannoneers) was quickly explained to the audience. The first step was to do nothing and await a firing, which could be result of slowly burning embers. I am not sure of the next steps taken after the pause (of about 2 minutes?). Eventually the gun was successfully fired.

      I'll let our resident artillerist (Tom C) provide more detail.

      From: "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@...>

    • Marc73@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 13, 2006
        In a message dated 06/13/06 1:18:12 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        RoteBaron@... writes:

        I am not sure of the next steps taken after the pause (of about 2 minutes?).
        Eventually the gun was successfully fired.

        I'll let our resident artillerist (Tom C) provide more detail.

        Tom Shay

        Been awhile since I done artillery but the next step would have been after
        waiting the required time and no premature explosion to re pick and prime again
        and fire. If that did not work than again after waiting for a time period
        the tube would need to be cleaned out. This if my memory serves me right and
        NPS rules may require a flooding of the tube before cleaning out. Most
        artillery units are quite safe it is the ones who just decide to do artillery and
        think they know what to do get into trouble. I am sure my ole friend Tom Clemens
        can explain further.

        Marc Riddell

        83rd PVI
        2nd USSS
        Potomac Legion
        Cent'l PA Rowing Association-President
        _http://www.rowpa.org_ (http://www.rowpa.org/)
        "Have You Flogged Your Crew Today?"

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 13, 2006
          Tom;

          LOL... I was referring to the NPS plans with respects to the website,
          etc.

          God. --Anonymous

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 13, 2006
            Yes that is pretty much it. The Misfire Drill that the NPS uses is
            based on the one in French, Barry & Hunt's Artillery Drill 1860. It was
            not unusual in the 1860's, and the government issued 75 friction primers
            with every 50 rounds of ammo. This provided for practice firing,
            misfires, loss, etc.
            The current problem, and what we experienced Saturday and Sunday several
            times, is that the repro primers are not made like the originals, and
            when they fail, they get stuck in the vent. That creates a much more
            dangerous situation because the cannoneer must stay in there near the
            vent longer to clear it, and must often drive the old primer tube down
            into the cartridge, making it into a projectile. Not good. If the
            primer is still hot enough, it can even cause the gun to prematurely
            discharge.
            I say all of this because I wish someone would accurately reproduce the
            original primer, which when it failed could be easily removed from the
            vent. As always, the question is money, but for safety reasons, many
            artillery enthusiasts, and more importantly the NPS, would bless the
            name of someone who could do it. My two cents worth, sorry about the
            rant.
            Tom C

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 5, 2006
              I was at a book store this weekend and read in a book about a regiment
              in a brigade (Union) approaching the Sunken Road. The brigade, I
              believe it was in French's Division, started getting fire from the rear
              from another Union brigade in its division. They moved to the side and
              the friendly fire stopped.

              I went back to buy the book, "War From the Inside", the story of the
              132nd PA, and read the book but can't find the friendly fire anecdote.
              I know I looked in a million books that day, but was pretty sure that
              was the book. Any ideas where that might've been I was looking? Thanks.