Re: [TalkAntietam] Artillery Weekend (more followup)

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 13, 2006

      Can you give a brief synopsis of what transpired here?

      God. --Anonymous
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 13, 2006
        Apparently the friction primer did not ignite the powder charge, so the powder remained in the tube after the other guns had fired. The cannoneers made it immediately know to NPS personnel, and the potential danger (to the cannoneers) was quickly explained to the audience. The first step was to do nothing and await a firing, which could be result of slowly burning embers. I am not sure of the next steps taken after the pause (of about 2 minutes?). Eventually the gun was successfully fired.

        I'll let our resident artillerist (Tom C) provide more detail.

        From: "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@...>

      • Marc73@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 13, 2006
          In a message dated 06/13/06 1:18:12 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          RoteBaron@... writes:

          I am not sure of the next steps taken after the pause (of about 2 minutes?).
          Eventually the gun was successfully fired.

          I'll let our resident artillerist (Tom C) provide more detail.

          Tom Shay

          Been awhile since I done artillery but the next step would have been after
          waiting the required time and no premature explosion to re pick and prime again
          and fire. If that did not work than again after waiting for a time period
          the tube would need to be cleaned out. This if my memory serves me right and
          NPS rules may require a flooding of the tube before cleaning out. Most
          artillery units are quite safe it is the ones who just decide to do artillery and
          think they know what to do get into trouble. I am sure my ole friend Tom Clemens
          can explain further.

          Marc Riddell

          83rd PVI
          2nd USSS
          Potomac Legion
          Cent'l PA Rowing Association-President
          _http://www.rowpa.org_ (http://www.rowpa.org/)
          "Have You Flogged Your Crew Today?"

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 13, 2006
            Tom;

            LOL... I was referring to the NPS plans with respects to the website,
            etc.

            God. --Anonymous

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 13, 2006
              Yes that is pretty much it. The Misfire Drill that the NPS uses is
              based on the one in French, Barry & Hunt's Artillery Drill 1860. It was
              not unusual in the 1860's, and the government issued 75 friction primers
              with every 50 rounds of ammo. This provided for practice firing,
              misfires, loss, etc.
              The current problem, and what we experienced Saturday and Sunday several
              times, is that the repro primers are not made like the originals, and
              when they fail, they get stuck in the vent. That creates a much more
              dangerous situation because the cannoneer must stay in there near the
              vent longer to clear it, and must often drive the old primer tube down
              into the cartridge, making it into a projectile. Not good. If the
              primer is still hot enough, it can even cause the gun to prematurely
              discharge.
              I say all of this because I wish someone would accurately reproduce the
              original primer, which when it failed could be easily removed from the
              vent. As always, the question is money, but for safety reasons, many
              artillery enthusiasts, and more importantly the NPS, would bless the
              name of someone who could do it. My two cents worth, sorry about the
              rant.
              Tom C

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 5, 2006
                I was at a book store this weekend and read in a book about a regiment
                in a brigade (Union) approaching the Sunken Road. The brigade, I
                believe it was in French's Division, started getting fire from the rear
                from another Union brigade in its division. They moved to the side and
                the friendly fire stopped.

                I went back to buy the book, "War From the Inside", the story of the
                132nd PA, and read the book but can't find the friendly fire anecdote.
                I know I looked in a million books that day, but was pretty sure that
                was the book. Any ideas where that might've been I was looking? Thanks.