Artillery Weekend (more followup)

  • RoteBaron@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 13, 2006
      I added an additional video to my webpage. This is the firing in which Section 1's Gun #2 misfired. Obviously with three videos, the page may take 1+ minutes to load.
      http://home.comcast.net/~schuylkillcwrt/artillery.htm

      The park is performing a major overhaul of the NPS website that promises to offer plenty more features.

      I received a reply to an email I sent to Antietam in reaction to the lack of tours this Spring and Summer. The reply is similar to one sent to another person.. If you are interested in these corrrespondences and related issues that were brought to my attention while at the park on Saturday, please conect me privately (RoteBaron@...).

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 13, 2006

        Can you give a brief synopsis of what transpired here?

        God. --Anonymous

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 13, 2006
          Apparently the friction primer did not ignite the powder charge, so the powder remained in the tube after the other guns had fired. The cannoneers made it immediately know to NPS personnel, and the potential danger (to the cannoneers) was quickly explained to the audience. The first step was to do nothing and await a firing, which could be result of slowly burning embers. I am not sure of the next steps taken after the pause (of about 2 minutes?). Eventually the gun was successfully fired.

          I'll let our resident artillerist (Tom C) provide more detail.

          From: "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@...>

        • Marc73@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 13, 2006
            In a message dated 06/13/06 1:18:12 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
            RoteBaron@... writes:

            I am not sure of the next steps taken after the pause (of about 2 minutes?).
            Eventually the gun was successfully fired.

            I'll let our resident artillerist (Tom C) provide more detail.

            Tom Shay

            Been awhile since I done artillery but the next step would have been after
            waiting the required time and no premature explosion to re pick and prime again
            and fire. If that did not work than again after waiting for a time period
            the tube would need to be cleaned out. This if my memory serves me right and
            NPS rules may require a flooding of the tube before cleaning out. Most
            artillery units are quite safe it is the ones who just decide to do artillery and
            think they know what to do get into trouble. I am sure my ole friend Tom Clemens
            can explain further.

            Marc Riddell

            83rd PVI
            2nd USSS
            Potomac Legion
            Cent'l PA Rowing Association-President
            _http://www.rowpa.org_ (http://www.rowpa.org/)
            "Have You Flogged Your Crew Today?"

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 13, 2006
              Tom;

              LOL... I was referring to the NPS plans with respects to the website,
              etc.

              God. --Anonymous

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 13, 2006
                Yes that is pretty much it. The Misfire Drill that the NPS uses is
                based on the one in French, Barry & Hunt's Artillery Drill 1860. It was
                not unusual in the 1860's, and the government issued 75 friction primers
                with every 50 rounds of ammo. This provided for practice firing,
                misfires, loss, etc.
                The current problem, and what we experienced Saturday and Sunday several
                times, is that the repro primers are not made like the originals, and
                when they fail, they get stuck in the vent. That creates a much more
                dangerous situation because the cannoneer must stay in there near the
                vent longer to clear it, and must often drive the old primer tube down
                into the cartridge, making it into a projectile. Not good. If the
                primer is still hot enough, it can even cause the gun to prematurely
                discharge.
                I say all of this because I wish someone would accurately reproduce the
                original primer, which when it failed could be easily removed from the
                vent. As always, the question is money, but for safety reasons, many
                artillery enthusiasts, and more importantly the NPS, would bless the
                name of someone who could do it. My two cents worth, sorry about the
                rant.
                Tom C

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 5, 2006
                  I was at a book store this weekend and read in a book about a regiment
                  in a brigade (Union) approaching the Sunken Road. The brigade, I
                  believe it was in French's Division, started getting fire from the rear
                  from another Union brigade in its division. They moved to the side and
                  the friendly fire stopped.

                  I went back to buy the book, "War From the Inside", the story of the
                  132nd PA, and read the book but can't find the friendly fire anecdote.
                  I know I looked in a million books that day, but was pretty sure that
                  was the book. Any ideas where that might've been I was looking? Thanks.