Re: [TalkAntietam] Trip report from Artillery Day June 10

  • Tom Shay
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 11 5:49 PM

      The two short videos from Artillery Day are at:
      http://home.comcast.net/~schuylkillcwrt/guns1.avi
      http://home.comcast.net/~schuylkillcwrt/guns3.avi

      They are big files, so it may take you 2+ minutes to load each of them.
      Someone please advise that they can access them.

      In addition to KKK, there were neo-Nazis and Anarchists at the rally. Full
      story at:
      http://www.herald-mail.com/?module=displaystory&story_id=140085&format=html

      I did get you the two brochures, which I will mail soon. There is no special
      handout for the SE corner of Cornfield you requested. but the Cornfield
      brochure features a stop there.

      NPS does plan to make the brochures available (in color!) on their website
      as PDF files, but no date yet announced.

      I walked the entire length of the new AP Hill trail and it's even longer
      than the route we used on recent ranger hikes. So anyone planning to make
      the hike is advised to be ready for a great but lengthy trek.

      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 11 8:11 PM
        Dear Tom,

        Thanks for all your help.

        As to the longer AP Hill trail, how much walking in terms of distance
        are you speaking of?

        God. --Anonymous

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 12 7:53 AM
          I could download the video clips, they look great. Thank you. No
          Gerry, I was wearing a Confederate uniform. In one of Tom's photos I
          show up wearing a red cap and sky blue trousers, red sash.
          Good to see you there Tom. I never went over to look at the KKK rally,
          just decided not to let them count me as a supporter by showing up.

          >>> RoteBaron@... 06/11/06 8:49 PM >>>
          Gerry,

        • RoteBaron@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 12 8:44 AM
            I also have a clip of the firing in which one cannon misfired. I can post it later.

            Only anti-rally people were allowed onto Mumma Farm via Smoketown Road. The NPS police asked each person whether they were pro- and anti- rally. Anyone supporting the rally had to go to elsewhere to some designated spot, then they were brought in via white vans to the opposite side. I had to go thru a metal-detector and was required to stand in a specific marked-off area across from Mumma Barn. There was also a media-only area, which was between pro- and anti- areas. The press were there in force, solicitinging everyone for anyone quotes.

            On a nicer note, I was chatting with the NPS policeman, when I noticed via his badge id that it was Rory Moore, former ranger at Antietam. He's now at Gettysburg.

            From: "Thomas Clemens" <clemenst@...>

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 12 1:20 PM
              Dear Tom C;

              Ah, so you were an officer this time! Were you the battery commander
              for the purpose of the demonstrations?

              Finally saw the videos...took a very long while to download as I have
              dialup. But impressive!

              God. --Anonymous

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 13 7:15 AM
                We rotate. I narrated two programs, served as battery commander for
                one, and commanded the left section for two.
                Tom C.

                >>> gerry1952@... 06/12/06 4:20 PM >>>