Re: [TalkAntietam] Trip report from Artillery Day June 10

    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 11, 2006
      Dear Tom,

      For some reason the link to the two videos would not download via my
      browser. Is there any other link which can be accessed?

      Was Tom Clemens dressed in a ranger uniform for the artillery
      demonstration or no?

      God. --Anonymous
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 11, 2006

        The two short videos from Artillery Day are at:
        http://home.comcast.net/~schuylkillcwrt/guns1.avi
        http://home.comcast.net/~schuylkillcwrt/guns3.avi

        They are big files, so it may take you 2+ minutes to load each of them.
        Someone please advise that they can access them.

        In addition to KKK, there were neo-Nazis and Anarchists at the rally. Full
        story at:
        http://www.herald-mail.com/?module=displaystory&story_id=140085&format=html

        I did get you the two brochures, which I will mail soon. There is no special
        handout for the SE corner of Cornfield you requested. but the Cornfield
        brochure features a stop there.

        NPS does plan to make the brochures available (in color!) on their website
        as PDF files, but no date yet announced.

        I walked the entire length of the new AP Hill trail and it's even longer
        than the route we used on recent ranger hikes. So anyone planning to make
        the hike is advised to be ready for a great but lengthy trek.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 11, 2006
          Dear Tom,

          Thanks for all your help.

          As to the longer AP Hill trail, how much walking in terms of distance
          are you speaking of?

          God. --Anonymous

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 12, 2006
            I could download the video clips, they look great. Thank you. No
            Gerry, I was wearing a Confederate uniform. In one of Tom's photos I
            show up wearing a red cap and sky blue trousers, red sash.
            Good to see you there Tom. I never went over to look at the KKK rally,
            just decided not to let them count me as a supporter by showing up.

            >>> RoteBaron@... 06/11/06 8:49 PM >>>
            Gerry,

          • RoteBaron@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 12, 2006
              I also have a clip of the firing in which one cannon misfired. I can post it later.

              Only anti-rally people were allowed onto Mumma Farm via Smoketown Road. The NPS police asked each person whether they were pro- and anti- rally. Anyone supporting the rally had to go to elsewhere to some designated spot, then they were brought in via white vans to the opposite side. I had to go thru a metal-detector and was required to stand in a specific marked-off area across from Mumma Barn. There was also a media-only area, which was between pro- and anti- areas. The press were there in force, solicitinging everyone for anyone quotes.

              On a nicer note, I was chatting with the NPS policeman, when I noticed via his badge id that it was Rory Moore, former ranger at Antietam. He's now at Gettysburg.

              From: "Thomas Clemens" <clemenst@...>

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 12, 2006
                Dear Tom C;

                Ah, so you were an officer this time! Were you the battery commander
                for the purpose of the demonstrations?

                Finally saw the videos...took a very long while to download as I have
                dialup. But impressive!

                God. --Anonymous

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 13, 2006
                  We rotate. I narrated two programs, served as battery commander for
                  one, and commanded the left section for two.
                  Tom C.

                  >>> gerry1952@... 06/12/06 4:20 PM >>>