Re: corn

  • oliverg25@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 27, 2001
      --- In TalkAntietam@y..., Bill & Glenna Jo Christen <gwjchris@r...>
      wrote:

      > oliverg25@h... wrote:
      >
      > > Not So!
      > > Once the corn is planted a horse never goes into the field.
      >
      > While researching the type of corn planting in the fields around
      Sharpsburg
      > for the Antietam documentary it was determined that the area
      farmers used the
      > "mounds spaced evenly apart" technique. That is, the "row's" were
      evenly
      > spaced in all directions. This is thinner than today's typical row
      planting
      > or what some farmer in pennsylvania may have done. The points made
      about the
      > devastation due to the firing bear more weight on the amount of
      cover.

      > Bill Christen

      I will accept your research. But in defense of "some farmer in
      Pennsylvania" might I remind you that the settlers in Sharpsburg came
      from Berks County PENNSYLVANIA. Dunkards are not that much different
      from Amish.

      sorry if my mention of Pennsylvania farmers is distasteful to you. If
      that is the case I will go back to lurking and allow you to continue
      your private conversations.

      Mr. Gamble
    • Bill & Glenna Jo Christen
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 27, 2001
        oliverg25@... wrote:

        > -I will accept your research. But in defense of "some farmer in
        > Pennsylvania" might I remind you that the settlers in Sharpsburg came
        > from Berks County PENNSYLVANIA. Dunkards are not that much different
        > from Amish.
        >
        > sorry if my mention of Pennsylvania farmers is distasteful to you.

        Mr. Gamble,

        I meant no offense and apologize nonetheless. I believe that even the
        simplest observation in regard to historical fact needs to be considered in
        relation to primary sources and local interpretation. Here is an example: How
        many farmers living in Sharpsburg and having farms in the vicinity of the two
        major cornfields connected with the battle owed there farming experience to
        ancestors in Berks County? Once we have established that information we then
        would be able to see if indeed those Berks County methods were used in the
        summer of 1862.

        This is off topic so I don't expect to continue this thread. It is also
        beyond my expertise and have nothing more to contribute on that line.

        Many of us who have been on the GDG, ADG, Talk Antietam and the Eastern
        Battlefields DG have learned to expand our reasoning and interpretation based
        on fresh analysis or new ways of seeing and thinking about what has been
        written on the battle...especially some of the fanciful stuff from the time
        of the deaths of the veterans to the writings of those educated in the
        1930-1970s about CW history.

        Bill Christen
      • oliverg25@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 27, 2001
          wrote:
          > Mr. Gamble,
          >
          > I meant no offense and apologize nonetheless.

          I noted you sarcastic tone and I responded to it.

          > Many of us who have been on the GDG, ADG, Talk Antietam and the
          Eastern
          > Battlefields DG have learned to expand our reasoning and
          interpretation based
          > on fresh analysis or new ways of seeing and thinking about what has
          been
          > written on the battle...especially some of the fanciful stuff from
          the time
          > of the deaths of the veterans to the writings of those educated in
          the
          > 1930-1970s about CW history.

          I belong to the GDG, ADG, HDG and this group. Mostly I lurk and read
          the archives to gain information.
          I don't post in the HDG as the subjects are way over my head. I am
          not that well educated about English History or the World Wars. But I
          have noticed that those that post are treated with courtesy and
          respect.
          I must say this group seems to be the most clanish. Here, it seems,
          only a select few are allowed to post as they like.

          Anything from outsiders brings ridicule and sarcastic replies like
          yours to me.
          I will therefore not bother you again.

          I would ask if the density of the corn planting in Miller's Field is
          so off topic, why is the inability of someone to read a recipe and
          know the difference between Baking Powder and Baking Soda ON topic?

          O.G.
        • TR Livesey
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 28, 2001
            Bill,

            Setting aside the issue about how chewed up the cornfield was...I
            am still curious about the potential concealment a 19th century
            Sharpsburg area cornfield might offer. Any idea about how far one
            could see into such a cornfield?

            TRL

            Bill & Glenna Jo Christen wrote:

            > oliverg25@... wrote:
            >
            > > Not So!
            > > Once the corn is planted a horse never goes into the field.
            >
            > While researching the type of corn planting in the fields around Sharpsburg
            > for the Antietam documentary it was determined that the area farmers used the
            > "mounds spaced evenly apart" technique. That is, the "row's" were evenly
            > spaced in all directions. This is thinner than today's typical row planting
            > or what some farmer in pennsylvania may have done. The points made about the
            > devastation due to the firing bear more weight on the amount of cover.
            >
            > Bill Christen

          • Bill & Glenna Jo Christen
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 30, 2001
              TR Livesey wrote:

              > I am still curious about the potential concealment a 19th century
              > Sharpsburg area cornfield might offer. Any idea about how far one
              > could see into such a cornfield?

              TR,

              From what I understand mature corn could range from five to eight feet tall in the
              mid-1860s...depending on variety, growing conditions, etc. Not all farmers planted
              in the evenly spaced mounds. I would suspect the flags and riffle with bayonets
              could be seen most of the time. If we were giving this a wargaming factor I would
              at a "shift" for partial concealment, but no modifier for protection. We did some
              filming in a tall crop of mounded corn in Michigan. It did obscure the soldiers
              from view once they were six feet into the corn.

              This sounds like a useful experimental anthropology problem for which enactors
              would be useful.

              Bill

              > > oliverg25@... wrote:
              > >
              > > > Not So!
              > > > Once the corn is planted a horse never goes into the field.
              > >
              > > While researching the type of corn planting in the fields around Sharpsburg
              > > for the Antietam documentary it was determined that the area farmers used the
              > > "mounds spaced evenly apart" technique. That is, the "row's" were evenly
              > > spaced in all directions. This is thinner than today's typical row planting
              > > or what some farmer in pennsylvania may have done. The points made about the
              > > devastation due to the firing bear more weight on the amount of cover.
              > >
              > > Bill Christen

              gwjchris@...
              Visit our web site, "The Curiosity Shop"
              http://www.rust.net/~gwjchris/
            • TR Livesey
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 30, 2001
                Bill,