RE: [TalkAntietam] Cannon tubes just lying around?

  • Harry Smeltzer
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2006
      When I was there last November, there were at least 3 tubes laying there
      near the wooden staircase.

      Harry

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2006
        The maintenance area adjoins the cemertery and they often have tubes
        "dumped" there while carriages are being painted, repaired, etc. The
        two cement strips next the left side appear to be mounts for the
        carriage commonly used with placing cannon on the field, so it is
        logical that they dumped this while removing the carriage. I was told
        tonight at Paul's retirement party that there is some reallocation of
        guns being made around the park, and no doubt refurbishing of carriages
        also.
        To lift that tube would take several burly fellows, the tube is likely
        850+ pounds. Any vehicle lifting it would have to pass through the
        maintenance area and a couple gates, so it is a relatively secure place,
        and all the data about it is on record.
        Tom Clemens

        >>> hjs21@... 06/02/06 5:10 PM >>>