Re: [TalkAntietam] Cannon tubes just lying around?

  • Tom Shay
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2006
      Of course, the Battle of Antietam was noted for several "loose cannons".

      Is it the aftermath of some wild retirement party for "Cannonball Chiles"?
      :)

      Seriously, it sure is out-of-the-ordinary to see a tube lying around like
      that. Keep us posted if an explanation is found.

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2006
        When I was there last November, there were at least 3 tubes laying there
        near the wooden staircase.

        Harry

        I saw a photo and discussion about a bronze 6-pounder gun tube in the
        grass "behind" the Antietam Natl Cemetery here:
        http://www.militaryhistoryonline.com/forums/ViewPost.aspx?ForumID=44
        <http://www.militaryhistoryonline.com/forums/ViewPost.aspx?ForumID=44&ID=594
        8> &ID=5948

        This seems at least a little odd. I can't believe the Park Service
        knows about this, and if so, that the gun isn't be better
        secured/protected/displayed ...

        Anybody know anything about this? Or perhaps recommend someone at the
        Park to ask?

        Civil
        history

        Civil
        battles

        Civil

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        * Visit your group "TalkAntietam

        _____

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2006
          The maintenance area adjoins the cemertery and they often have tubes
          "dumped" there while carriages are being painted, repaired, etc. The
          two cement strips next the left side appear to be mounts for the
          carriage commonly used with placing cannon on the field, so it is
          logical that they dumped this while removing the carriage. I was told
          tonight at Paul's retirement party that there is some reallocation of
          guns being made around the park, and no doubt refurbishing of carriages
          also.
          To lift that tube would take several burly fellows, the tube is likely
          850+ pounds. Any vehicle lifting it would have to pass through the
          maintenance area and a couple gates, so it is a relatively secure place,
          and all the data about it is on record.
          Tom Clemens

          >>> hjs21@... 06/02/06 5:10 PM >>>