Cannon tubes just lying around?

  • Brian Downey
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2006
      Hi folk,

      I saw a photo and discussion about a bronze 6-pounder gun tube in the
      grass "behind" the Antietam Natl Cemetery here:
      http://www.militaryhistoryonline.com/forums/ViewPost.aspx?ForumID=44&ID=5948

      This seems at least a little odd. I can't believe the Park Service
      knows about this, and if so, that the gun isn't be better
      secured/protected/displayed ...

      Anybody know anything about this? Or perhaps recommend someone at the
      Park to ask?
    • Tom Shay
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2006
        Of course, the Battle of Antietam was noted for several "loose cannons".

        Is it the aftermath of some wild retirement party for "Cannonball Chiles"?
        :)

        Seriously, it sure is out-of-the-ordinary to see a tube lying around like
        that. Keep us posted if an explanation is found.

        I saw a photo and discussion about a bronze 6-pounder gun tube in the
        grass "behind" the Antietam Natl Cemetery here:
        http://www.militaryhistoryonline.com/forums/ViewPost.aspx?ForumID=44&ID=5948

        This seems at least a little odd. I can't believe the Park Service
        knows about this, and if so, that the gun isn't be better
        secured/protected/displayed ...

        Anybody know anything about this? Or perhaps recommend someone at the
        Park to ask?

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Harry Smeltzer
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2006
          When I was there last November, there were at least 3 tubes laying there
          near the wooden staircase.

          Harry

          I saw a photo and discussion about a bronze 6-pounder gun tube in the
          grass "behind" the Antietam Natl Cemetery here:
          http://www.militaryhistoryonline.com/forums/ViewPost.aspx?ForumID=44
          <http://www.militaryhistoryonline.com/forums/ViewPost.aspx?ForumID=44&ID=594
          8> &ID=5948

          This seems at least a little odd. I can't believe the Park Service
          knows about this, and if so, that the gun isn't be better
          secured/protected/displayed ...

          Anybody know anything about this? Or perhaps recommend someone at the
          Park to ask?

          Civil
          history

          Civil
          battles

          Civil

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          * Visit your group "TalkAntietam

          _____

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 2, 2006
            The maintenance area adjoins the cemertery and they often have tubes
            "dumped" there while carriages are being painted, repaired, etc. The
            two cement strips next the left side appear to be mounts for the
            carriage commonly used with placing cannon on the field, so it is
            logical that they dumped this while removing the carriage. I was told
            tonight at Paul's retirement party that there is some reallocation of
            guns being made around the park, and no doubt refurbishing of carriages
            also.
            To lift that tube would take several burly fellows, the tube is likely
            850+ pounds. Any vehicle lifting it would have to pass through the
            maintenance area and a couple gates, so it is a relatively secure place,
            and all the data about it is on record.
            Tom Clemens

            >>> hjs21@... 06/02/06 5:10 PM >>>