Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Article about Hoods Texans

  • TR Livesey
    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 27, 2001
      Ollie,

      oliverg25@... wrote:
      <general snip>

      > One thing you seem to have forgotten is that Hooker ordered the
      > cornfield to be raked with canister before any assult began. I don't
      > think there was much cover left by the time th texans got there
      >
      > Ollie

      Hooker's account is unreliable. He makes it sound like he mowed down
      a whole regiment waiting hidden in the cornfield. In fact, when
      the I corps moved out, there were no significant Confederates in
      the corn, they were in line south of it.

      Furthermore, I doubt that Hooker could have possibly irradicated an
      entire 30 acre cornfield, no matter how much canister he used.
      Anyway, we are interested here in the southern end of it.

      TRL
    • Oliver Gamble
      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 27, 2001

        Sent: Sunday, August 26, 2001 11:14 PM
        Subject: Re: [TalkAntietam] Article about Hoods Texans

        David,

        Corn planting patterns were different in 1862, not nearly as
        dense, with rows being wide enough for a horse to move between.

        Not So!
        Once the corn is planted a horse never goes into the field. Plowing and planting is usually done with a team of horses, not one.

        Amish farmers in PA still use horses and mules and their rows are tighter than those of farmers using tractors.

         O.G.
      • Tom Clemens
        Message 3 of 27 , Aug 27, 2001
          In the 19th Century, they used hills of corn, and check-row pattern allowed a
          lot of traffic in the cornfields. Think of it and a checkerboard where every
          corner is a hill of corn. It was usually hand planted, not with horses and
          machine planters. Bill Christen knows much about it than I do, ask him.

          oliverg25@... wrote:

          > --- In TalkAntietam@y..., TR Livesey <westwood@e...> wrote:
          > > David,
          > >
          > > > Corn planting patterns were different in 1862, not nearly as
          > > dense, with rows being wide enough for a horse to move between.
          > > This would imply that the corn will have different degrees of
          > > concealment,
          >
          > Not So!
          > Once the corn is planted a horse never goes into the field. Plowing
          > and planting is usually done with a team of horses, not one. after
          > planting there is no need for a horse to go back into the field. Also
          > a horse does not damage the top soil as much as a tractor wheel
          >
          > Amish farmers in PA still use horses and mules and their rows are
          > tighter than those of farmers using tractors. Their fields are so
          > tight you can not look down a row.
          >
          > This might come through twice when Hotmail gets its act together.
          >
          > O.G.

        • Tom Clemens
          Message 4 of 27 , Aug 27, 2001
            Squire Boone.

            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 28, 2002
              Group;

              If you have a Preview option on your email program, I recommend
              you use it. It will allow you to see what attachments are
              attached before you open the email! If you see anything ending
              with .pif or .bat as an attachment or .exe, DELETE it
              immediately! (Many viruses come with either of the three
              extensions.)

              Also, run Trend Micro Antivirus web based scanning, Norton Anti
              Virus or any similar program to locate any virus infections you
              might have and then clean.

              The KLEZ-G variant worm virus has been running amuck in this
              group, and already caused one member to have his account delisted
              by the moderator.

              Your humble servant,
              Gerry Mayers
              Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

              Edward Lee

              > > > Corn planting patterns were different in 1862, not nearly
              as
              > > dense, with rows being wide enough for a horse to move
              between.
              > > This would imply that the corn will have different degrees of
              > > concealment,
              >
              > Not So!
              > Once the corn is planted a horse never goes into the field.
              Plowing
              > and planting is usually done with a team of horses, not one.
              after
              > planting there is no need for a horse to go back into the
              field. Also
              > a horse does not damage the top soil as much as a tractor wheel
              >
              > Amish farmers in PA still use horses and mules and their rows
              are
              > tighter than those of farmers using tractors. Their fields are
              so
              > tight you can not look down a row.
              >
              > This might come through twice when Hotmail gets its act
              together.

              > O.G.
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              Service.