Re: re Battlefield off beaten path sites and question

  • susansevier2003
    Message 1 of 16 , May 29, 2006
      Ron,

      Thanks for suggesting the Cornfield trail. Yesterday (Memorial Day
      weekend) I walked the trail from Autostop 4. It was early Sunday
      morning -- hazy but sunny; beautiful. As you predicted, I encountered
      no one, although I did meet a fox, trotting along the northern
      fenceline, that bounded off into the wheat when it saw me. It's only
      when one walks the ground that one sees how deceptively contured
      Miller's fields are. What looks like level ground from the road is
      really a quirky patchwork of undulations. It would compartmentalize any
      small-unit action here, the enemy appearing and disappearing from a
      soldier's view as he moved forward.

      The trail, after running east, turns north again towards Mansfield
      Ave/Poffenberger lane. In this vicinity, at "the northwest angle" of
      the woods and cornfield the artist Frank H. Schell [Battles & Leaders]
      sketched Confederate wounded, including "a tall, young Georgian with a
      shattered ankle" sitting next to his dead father. Would these have been
      members of Colquitt's command?

      David

      Message 2 of 16 , May 29, 2006
        More likely C. M. Douglas' brigade from Lawton's Div.

        >>> camdensquare@... 05/29/06 8:48 AM >>>
      • susansevier2003
        Message 3 of 16 , May 30, 2006
          After I posted my first message about Schell, I noticed John M. Priest
          includes this incident in his Antietam book. Priest says that Frank
          Schell sketched the wounded Confederate and his dead father shortly
          after the artist "crossed the left of the 21 Georgia's former line"
          (page 167). The 21st GA, part of Trimble's [Walker's] brigade, had
          been sent forward to shore up Lawton and Ripley's line between Mumma's
          lane and the Cornfield.

          --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
          <mailto:TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com> , "Thomas Clemens" <clemenst@...>

          Message 4 of 16 , May 31, 2006