Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Article about Hoods Texans

  • David Lutton
    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 27, 2001
      Ollie,

      Exactly my point. At this point of the battle the cornfield would have been
      defestated. Hence the corn would have been a non factor.

      David Lutton
      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 27, 2001
        --- In TalkAntietam@y..., "David Lutton" <dunkerch@c...> wrote:
        > Ollie,
        >
        > Exactly my point. At this point of the battle the cornfield would
        have been
        > defestated. Hence the corn would have been a non factor.
        >
        > David Lutton

        David;

        Precisely!

        I think someone else also said the cornfield had been trampled before
        Hood got there. So the corn, or what remained, provided very little
        cover.

        Ollie
      • TR Livesey
        Message 3 of 27 , Aug 27, 2001
          Ollie,

          oliverg25@... wrote:
          <general snip>

          > One thing you seem to have forgotten is that Hooker ordered the
          > cornfield to be raked with canister before any assult began. I don't
          > think there was much cover left by the time th texans got there
          >
          > Ollie

          Hooker's account is unreliable. He makes it sound like he mowed down
          a whole regiment waiting hidden in the cornfield. In fact, when
          the I corps moved out, there were no significant Confederates in
          the corn, they were in line south of it.

          Furthermore, I doubt that Hooker could have possibly irradicated an
          entire 30 acre cornfield, no matter how much canister he used.
          Anyway, we are interested here in the southern end of it.

          TRL
        • Oliver Gamble
          Message 4 of 27 , Aug 27, 2001

            Sent: Sunday, August 26, 2001 11:14 PM
            Subject: Re: [TalkAntietam] Article about Hoods Texans

            David,

            Corn planting patterns were different in 1862, not nearly as
            dense, with rows being wide enough for a horse to move between.

            Not So!
            Once the corn is planted a horse never goes into the field. Plowing and planting is usually done with a team of horses, not one.

            Amish farmers in PA still use horses and mules and their rows are tighter than those of farmers using tractors.

             O.G.
          • Tom Clemens
            Message 5 of 27 , Aug 27, 2001
              In the 19th Century, they used hills of corn, and check-row pattern allowed a
              lot of traffic in the cornfields. Think of it and a checkerboard where every
              corner is a hill of corn. It was usually hand planted, not with horses and
              machine planters. Bill Christen knows much about it than I do, ask him.

              oliverg25@... wrote:

              > --- In TalkAntietam@y..., TR Livesey <westwood@e...> wrote:
              > > David,
              > >
              > > > Corn planting patterns were different in 1862, not nearly as
              > > dense, with rows being wide enough for a horse to move between.
              > > This would imply that the corn will have different degrees of
              > > concealment,
              >
              > Not So!
              > Once the corn is planted a horse never goes into the field. Plowing
              > and planting is usually done with a team of horses, not one. after
              > planting there is no need for a horse to go back into the field. Also
              > a horse does not damage the top soil as much as a tractor wheel
              >
              > Amish farmers in PA still use horses and mules and their rows are
              > tighter than those of farmers using tractors. Their fields are so
              > tight you can not look down a row.
              >
              > This might come through twice when Hotmail gets its act together.
              >
              > O.G.

            • Tom Clemens
              Message 6 of 27 , Aug 27, 2001
                Squire Boone.

                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 28, 2002
                  Group;

                  If you have a Preview option on your email program, I recommend
                  you use it. It will allow you to see what attachments are
                  attached before you open the email! If you see anything ending
                  with .pif or .bat as an attachment or .exe, DELETE it
                  immediately! (Many viruses come with either of the three
                  extensions.)

                  Also, run Trend Micro Antivirus web based scanning, Norton Anti
                  Virus or any similar program to locate any virus infections you
                  might have and then clean.

                  The KLEZ-G variant worm virus has been running amuck in this
                  group, and already caused one member to have his account delisted
                  by the moderator.

                  Your humble servant,
                  Gerry Mayers
                  Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

                  Edward Lee

                  > > > Corn planting patterns were different in 1862, not nearly
                  as
                  > > dense, with rows being wide enough for a horse to move
                  between.
                  > > This would imply that the corn will have different degrees of
                  > > concealment,
                  >
                  > Not So!
                  > Once the corn is planted a horse never goes into the field.
                  Plowing
                  > and planting is usually done with a team of horses, not one.
                  after
                  > planting there is no need for a horse to go back into the
                  field. Also
                  > a horse does not damage the top soil as much as a tractor wheel
                  >
                  > Amish farmers in PA still use horses and mules and their rows
                  are
                  > tighter than those of farmers using tractors. Their fields are
                  so
                  > tight you can not look down a row.
                  >
                  > This might come through twice when Hotmail gets its act
                  together.

                  > O.G.
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  Service.