Re: [TalkAntietam] re Battlefield off beaten path sites and question

  • RoteBaron@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 16 , May 12, 2006
      I finally manage to re-subscribe to CWDG this morning!

      I have hiked past the Locher Cabin up to Hauser Ridge many times with rangers. Much of the terrain is grassy with some rock outcroppings, then there is the climb to top of the ridge. Obviously crops along ridge can vary by season.

      The "Rock Ledge" is another less-visited site, which I documented on my CWRT website: http://home.comcast.net/~schuylkillcwrt/

      By Doubleday gun positions, are you referring to the J. Poffenberger Hill location? The farm is now open and easily accessible.

      There are plenty of other sites to visit, depanding on itinerary and time available.

      From: "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@...>

      Message 2 of 16 , May 12, 2006
        I've got an old photo of the Rocky Ledge from about 1900 that you can
        use. The view is wide open, not a shrub in sight.

        Stephen

        Message 3 of 16 , May 12, 2006
          That would be great Stephen! Please contact me privately with a copy
          of the photo, if you can send it electronically.

          God. --Anonymous
          > I've got an old photo of the Rocky Ledge from about 1900 that you
          > can
          > use. The view is wide open, not a shrub in sight.
          >
          > Stephen
          >
          > On Friday, May 12, 2006, at 09:07 AM, RoteBaron@... wrote:
          >
          >> The "Rock Ledge" is another less-visited site, which I documented
          >> on
          >> my CWRT website: http://home.comcast.net/~schuylkillcwrt/

          > Service.

        • dickeyr46
          Message 4 of 16 , May 19, 2006

            The suggestion of the area around the Locher cabin and the Hauser
            Ridge are excellent. Do not miss the NW portion of the West Woods
            where the 1st Minn was greeted with Pelham's artillery as they emeged
            from the woods. This NW corner tree line appears to be fairly true to
            the Carmen-Cope maps.

            Here's a suggestion for another easy to get to spot... it is the
            northeast corner of the Cornfield. If you get the NPS broucher "The
            Cornfield Trail," this location is marked as stop 4. It is easily
            reached by walking from Auto Tour Stop 4, north through the Cornfield
            using the trail, and then east along the northern Cornfield fence to
            where the Cornfield meets the East Woods. This spot trully is a
            location of "serenity and sacrifice." This spot is peaceful, with no
            vehicle traffic and little foot traffic. Yet, this corner of the
            Cornfield equaled or exceeded the violence of the western side where
            Gibbons fought. From the initial passing of Duryea's brigade at 6 am,
            to the attacks by Hay's Tigers, Hartsuff's men, and Law's Brigade, the
            stand by the Penn. Reserves, Ripley and Gordon facing each other, and
            finally Tyndale rolling up Colquitt's flank, this corner overlooked 3
            hours of back-and-forth sacrifice. This location is also neat in that
            most of the states had units in action in this vicinity. This corner
            was described as "...dead men literally piled upon and across each
            other" by one of Tyndale's regimental commanders. Of note is what you
            can't see from here... you can't see Miller's farm house, nor can you
            see the West Woods. This is a fantastic spot to appreciate how
            restrictive the terrain could be.

            Well, that's a suggestion as a way to appreciate the Cornfield from
            other than the "standard" read from Auto Stop 4.

            Ron Dickey

            Message 5 of 16 , May 19, 2006
              Dear Ron,

              Thank you for the excellent suggestion! I will make contact at ANBP
              with one of the rangers to arrange for a copy of that brochure to be
              sent.

              Is there also a brochure of the NW corner of the West Woods where
              Pelham had his artillery?

              God. --Anonymous
              > The suggestion of the area around the Locher cabin and the Hauser
              > Ridge are excellent. Do not miss the NW portion of the West Woods
              > where the 1st Minn was greeted with Pelham's artillery as they
              > emeged
              > from the woods. This NW corner tree line appears to be fairly true
              > the Carmen-Cope maps.
              >
              > Here's a suggestion for another easy to get to spot... it is the
              > northeast corner of the Cornfield. If you get the NPS broucher "The
              > Cornfield Trail," this location is marked as stop 4. It is easily
              > reached by walking from Auto Tour Stop 4, north through the
              > Cornfield
              > using the trail, and then east along the northern Cornfield fence to
              > where the Cornfield meets the East Woods. This spot trully is a
              > location of "serenity and sacrifice." This spot is peaceful, with no
              > vehicle traffic and little foot traffic. Yet, this corner of the
              > Cornfield equaled or exceeded the violence of the western side where
              > Gibbons fought. From the initial passing of Duryea's brigade at 6
              > am,
              > to the attacks by Hay's Tigers, Hartsuff's men, and Law's Brigade,
              > the
              > stand by the Penn. Reserves, Ripley and Gordon facing each other,
              > and
              > finally Tyndale rolling up Colquitt's flank, this corner overlooked
              > 3
              > hours of back-and-forth sacrifice. This location is also neat in
              > that
              > most of the states had units in action in this vicinity. This corner
              > was described as "...dead men literally piled upon and across each
              > other" by one of Tyndale's regimental commanders. Of note is what
              > you
              > can't see from here... you can't see Miller's farm house, nor can
              > you
              > see the West Woods. This is a fantastic spot to appreciate how
              > restrictive the terrain could be.
              >
              > Well, that's a suggestion as a way to appreciate the Cornfield from
              > other than the "standard" read from Auto Stop 4.
              >
              > Ron Dickey
              >
              > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@...>
              > wrote:
              >>
              >> Gang,
              >>
              >> In October (October 15th) I will be hosting a tour at Sharpsburg
              >> (Antietam) battlefield for the Civil War Discussion Group Fall 2006
              >> Muster. I realize some members of this board are also members of
              >> the
              >> other board.... but this is not a cross posting.
              >>
              >> I write with three main requests:
              >> 1. In addition to the remaining portion of the West Woods between
              >> the
              >> Philadelphia Brigade park and the SR 64 bypass, what other off the
              >> beaten path areas in the park are there in the area of the Morning
              >> Phases of the battle that can be visited with needing special
              >> permission to do so?

              > Service.

            • dickeyr46
              Message 6 of 16 , May 19, 2006

                I've never seen a brochure that covers the terrain west of Hwy 65.
                Perhaps some of the other members might know of one. Map 5 of the
                Battle Maps Brian Downey has posted on AoTW,
                http://aotw.org/maps.php?map_number=5, is excellent. It clearly shows
                the 1st Minn and the 13th Vir, which was posted from Early's Brigade
                as support for the horse artillery. Another good source of what the
                terrain is like is the map Todd Livsey did,
                http://www.westwoodgalleries.com/antietam/maps/viewmaps.html. He has
                overlaid the 1862 vegetation and roads with white lines depicting the
                modern roads. Todd has also marked the park boundary in purple. Both
                of these maps help.

                If I were drawing a map, this is what I'd do. From the Dunker Church,
                walk west out Confederate Ave. past the 34th NY and 125th PA
                monuments. Carefully cross Hwy 65 bypass and continue west along the
                dirt park road about 200 meters. This should put you at a small tree
                line running N and S. Head N along the line. It is a bit rough... rock
                out croppings. Hauser Ridge rises to your left and there is open
                "pasture" to your right. You'll see the Locher barn first and then the
                cabin to the right. They are marked as A. Poffenberger on most maps.
                The barn is visible from Hwy 65; the cabin is not because of
                vegetation. Continue NNW for a couple of hundred more meters. It is
                amazing how the vegetaion and terrain reveal themselves. This area is
                where Grigsby's men and the artillery stopped and held Gorman's
                Brigade while McLaws' brigades and others attacked.

                The 15th Mass. monument is just NE of the Locher cabin, on the east
                side of Hwy 65. I found the other good place to cross 65 is to follow
                the farm path from the cabin, south to the barn. There is a gate in
                the fence at the barn making it easy to get to the road for crossing.
                The original War Dept. tour road is east of and parallels 65 here.
                Head north a hundred meters for the 15th Mass. monument. Few people
                recognize that tablets and monuments are along this "path."

                I've been too verbose and perhaps stated the obvious, but I hope this
                helps on your tour.

                Ron Dickey

                Message 7 of 16 , May 22, 2006
                  Dear Ron,

                  Not at all. Thank you for your help.

                  God. --Anonymous
> [...]
                  > this
                  > helps on your tour.
                  >
                  > Ron Dickey
                  >
                  > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@...>
                  > wrote:
                  >>
                  >> Dear Ron,
                  >>
                  >> Thank you for the excellent suggestion! I will make contact at ANBP
                  >> with one of the rangers to arrange for a copy of that brochure to
                  >> be
                  >> sent.
                  >>
                  >> Is there also a brochure of the NW corner of the West Woods where
                  >> Pelham had his artillery?
                  >>
                  >> Yr. Obt. Svt.
                  >> G E "Gerry" Mayers
                  >>
                  >> To Be A Virginian, either by birth, marriage, adoption, or even on
                  >> one's mother's side, is an introduction to any state in the Union,
                  >> passport to any foreign country, and a benediction from the

                • susansevier2003
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 29, 2006
                    Ron,

                    Thanks for suggesting the Cornfield trail. Yesterday (Memorial Day
                    weekend) I walked the trail from Autostop 4. It was early Sunday
                    morning -- hazy but sunny; beautiful. As you predicted, I encountered
                    no one, although I did meet a fox, trotting along the northern
                    fenceline, that bounded off into the wheat when it saw me. It's only
                    when one walks the ground that one sees how deceptively contured
                    Miller's fields are. What looks like level ground from the road is
                    really a quirky patchwork of undulations. It would compartmentalize any
                    small-unit action here, the enemy appearing and disappearing from a
                    soldier's view as he moved forward.

                    The trail, after running east, turns north again towards Mansfield
                    Ave/Poffenberger lane. In this vicinity, at "the northwest angle" of
                    the woods and cornfield the artist Frank H. Schell [Battles & Leaders]
                    sketched Confederate wounded, including "a tall, young Georgian with a
                    shattered ankle" sitting next to his dead father. Would these have been
                    members of Colquitt's command?

                    David

                    Message 9 of 16 , May 29, 2006
                      More likely C. M. Douglas' brigade from Lawton's Div.

                      >>> camdensquare@... 05/29/06 8:48 AM >>>
                    • susansevier2003
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 30, 2006
                        After I posted my first message about Schell, I noticed John M. Priest
                        includes this incident in his Antietam book. Priest says that Frank
                        Schell sketched the wounded Confederate and his dead father shortly
                        after the artist "crossed the left of the 21 Georgia's former line"
                        (page 167). The 21st GA, part of Trimble's [Walker's] brigade, had
                        been sent forward to shore up Lawton and Ripley's line between Mumma's
                        lane and the Cornfield.

                        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
                        <mailto:TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com> , "Thomas Clemens" <clemenst@...>

                        Message 11 of 16 , May 31, 2006