Re: [TalkAntietam] re Battlefield off beaten path sites and question

  • RoteBaron@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 16 , May 12 4:49 AM
      I picked up the new brochure for the Otto Farm trail in September. The trail terrain is now easily walkable. Of course it has some modest climbs and descents, and it is a decent walk from the parkng lot to the southwest end of the cornfield.

      Let me know if I can assist in anything regarding the Antietam muster.

      I've been off CWDG for two months and have tried to re-subscibe via my new email. I'll try again today

      From: "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@...>

      Message 2 of 16 , May 12 5:12 AM
        1. Nicodemus Heights and Hauser Ridge require permission of the owners,
        but you can go a bit west of the Locher cabin without it and see some
        great spots relative to the attack on the 15th Mass. The space in
        between Philadelphia Brigade Park and Rt. 65 is open to the public.
        I've got a neat old photo of Jackson's rocks back there without the
        woods. The north side of the J. Poffenberger Farm where Doubleday had
        some cannon is a neat spot and is open. Brian Baracz took us there last
        year.

        2. Brian just did a great walking tour of the east side of Burnside
        Bridge. I would talk to him.

        3. Yes, there is a nice brochure of this trail. You can get it at the
        visitor center desk. The hike is pretty challenging. There are a few
        variations for the hearty few. You can start with a walk down to
        Snavely Ford and then follow Rodman's path all the way through the
        woods to the position of the 12th Ohio where you could pick up the park
        trail. You could end with a walk up to the 9th New York. I have done
        both of these with Brian, Keith Snyder and Mike Gamble, all park
        rangers who I am sure would be glad to point you to some great stories,
        maps and photos.

        Stephen

        Message 3 of 16 , May 12 5:42 AM
          Thanks Stephen. Re the options in Question No. 1, how would I get past
          the Locher cabin, etc safely? And also how would I find the spot where
          Doubleday had some of his artillery?

          Message 4 of 16 , May 12 5:45 AM
            Dear Tom;

            Thank you for the note. If you know of other locations sort of off the
            beaten track, please advise.

            The CWDG Fall Muster is a combination Gettysburg muster (Friday and
            Saturday) and a Sharpsburg muster (Sunday), the weekend of October
            13-15. Allan Shikhvarg, the CWDG Fall Muster Meister for Life, has
            posted the schedule at the following link:

            http://www.cwdgonline.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=15036#15036

            Contact Allan directly if you have any questions or you can respond
            via the online board.

            God. --Anonymous

          • RoteBaron@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 16 , May 12 6:07 AM
              I finally manage to re-subscribe to CWDG this morning!

              I have hiked past the Locher Cabin up to Hauser Ridge many times with rangers. Much of the terrain is grassy with some rock outcroppings, then there is the climb to top of the ridge. Obviously crops along ridge can vary by season.

              The "Rock Ledge" is another less-visited site, which I documented on my CWRT website: http://home.comcast.net/~schuylkillcwrt/

              By Doubleday gun positions, are you referring to the J. Poffenberger Hill location? The farm is now open and easily accessible.

              There are plenty of other sites to visit, depanding on itinerary and time available.

              From: "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@...>

              Message 6 of 16 , May 12 6:38 AM
                I've got an old photo of the Rocky Ledge from about 1900 that you can
                use. The view is wide open, not a shrub in sight.

                Stephen

                Message 7 of 16 , May 12 6:41 AM
                  That would be great Stephen! Please contact me privately with a copy
                  of the photo, if you can send it electronically.

                  God. --Anonymous
                  > I've got an old photo of the Rocky Ledge from about 1900 that you
                  > can
                  > use. The view is wide open, not a shrub in sight.
                  >
                  > Stephen
                  >
                  > On Friday, May 12, 2006, at 09:07 AM, RoteBaron@... wrote:
                  >
                  >> The "Rock Ledge" is another less-visited site, which I documented
                  >> on
                  >> my CWRT website: http://home.comcast.net/~schuylkillcwrt/

                  > Service.

                • dickeyr46
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 19 5:03 AM

                    The suggestion of the area around the Locher cabin and the Hauser
                    Ridge are excellent. Do not miss the NW portion of the West Woods
                    where the 1st Minn was greeted with Pelham's artillery as they emeged
                    from the woods. This NW corner tree line appears to be fairly true to
                    the Carmen-Cope maps.

                    Here's a suggestion for another easy to get to spot... it is the
                    northeast corner of the Cornfield. If you get the NPS broucher "The
                    Cornfield Trail," this location is marked as stop 4. It is easily
                    reached by walking from Auto Tour Stop 4, north through the Cornfield
                    using the trail, and then east along the northern Cornfield fence to
                    where the Cornfield meets the East Woods. This spot trully is a
                    location of "serenity and sacrifice." This spot is peaceful, with no
                    vehicle traffic and little foot traffic. Yet, this corner of the
                    Cornfield equaled or exceeded the violence of the western side where
                    Gibbons fought. From the initial passing of Duryea's brigade at 6 am,
                    to the attacks by Hay's Tigers, Hartsuff's men, and Law's Brigade, the
                    stand by the Penn. Reserves, Ripley and Gordon facing each other, and
                    finally Tyndale rolling up Colquitt's flank, this corner overlooked 3
                    hours of back-and-forth sacrifice. This location is also neat in that
                    most of the states had units in action in this vicinity. This corner
                    was described as "...dead men literally piled upon and across each
                    other" by one of Tyndale's regimental commanders. Of note is what you
                    can't see from here... you can't see Miller's farm house, nor can you
                    see the West Woods. This is a fantastic spot to appreciate how
                    restrictive the terrain could be.

                    Well, that's a suggestion as a way to appreciate the Cornfield from
                    other than the "standard" read from Auto Stop 4.

                    Ron Dickey

                    Message 9 of 16 , May 19 5:37 AM
                      Dear Ron,

                      Thank you for the excellent suggestion! I will make contact at ANBP
                      with one of the rangers to arrange for a copy of that brochure to be
                      sent.

                      Is there also a brochure of the NW corner of the West Woods where
                      Pelham had his artillery?

                      God. --Anonymous
                      > The suggestion of the area around the Locher cabin and the Hauser
                      > Ridge are excellent. Do not miss the NW portion of the West Woods
                      > where the 1st Minn was greeted with Pelham's artillery as they
                      > emeged
                      > from the woods. This NW corner tree line appears to be fairly true
                      > the Carmen-Cope maps.
                      >
                      > Here's a suggestion for another easy to get to spot... it is the
                      > northeast corner of the Cornfield. If you get the NPS broucher "The
                      > Cornfield Trail," this location is marked as stop 4. It is easily
                      > reached by walking from Auto Tour Stop 4, north through the
                      > Cornfield
                      > using the trail, and then east along the northern Cornfield fence to
                      > where the Cornfield meets the East Woods. This spot trully is a
                      > location of "serenity and sacrifice." This spot is peaceful, with no
                      > vehicle traffic and little foot traffic. Yet, this corner of the
                      > Cornfield equaled or exceeded the violence of the western side where
                      > Gibbons fought. From the initial passing of Duryea's brigade at 6
                      > am,
                      > to the attacks by Hay's Tigers, Hartsuff's men, and Law's Brigade,
                      > the
                      > stand by the Penn. Reserves, Ripley and Gordon facing each other,
                      > and
                      > finally Tyndale rolling up Colquitt's flank, this corner overlooked
                      > 3
                      > hours of back-and-forth sacrifice. This location is also neat in
                      > that
                      > most of the states had units in action in this vicinity. This corner
                      > was described as "...dead men literally piled upon and across each
                      > other" by one of Tyndale's regimental commanders. Of note is what
                      > you
                      > can't see from here... you can't see Miller's farm house, nor can
                      > you
                      > see the West Woods. This is a fantastic spot to appreciate how
                      > restrictive the terrain could be.
                      >
                      > Well, that's a suggestion as a way to appreciate the Cornfield from
                      > other than the "standard" read from Auto Stop 4.
                      >
                      > Ron Dickey
                      >
                      > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@...>
                      > wrote:
                      >>
                      >> Gang,
                      >>
                      >> In October (October 15th) I will be hosting a tour at Sharpsburg
                      >> (Antietam) battlefield for the Civil War Discussion Group Fall 2006
                      >> Muster. I realize some members of this board are also members of
                      >> the
                      >> other board.... but this is not a cross posting.
                      >>
                      >> I write with three main requests:
                      >> 1. In addition to the remaining portion of the West Woods between
                      >> the
                      >> Philadelphia Brigade park and the SR 64 bypass, what other off the
                      >> beaten path areas in the park are there in the area of the Morning
                      >> Phases of the battle that can be visited with needing special
                      >> permission to do so?

                      > Service.

                    • dickeyr46
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 19 8:19 AM

                        I've never seen a brochure that covers the terrain west of Hwy 65.
                        Perhaps some of the other members might know of one. Map 5 of the
                        Battle Maps Brian Downey has posted on AoTW,
                        http://aotw.org/maps.php?map_number=5, is excellent. It clearly shows
                        the 1st Minn and the 13th Vir, which was posted from Early's Brigade
                        as support for the horse artillery. Another good source of what the
                        terrain is like is the map Todd Livsey did,
                        http://www.westwoodgalleries.com/antietam/maps/viewmaps.html. He has
                        overlaid the 1862 vegetation and roads with white lines depicting the
                        modern roads. Todd has also marked the park boundary in purple. Both
                        of these maps help.

                        If I were drawing a map, this is what I'd do. From the Dunker Church,
                        walk west out Confederate Ave. past the 34th NY and 125th PA
                        monuments. Carefully cross Hwy 65 bypass and continue west along the
                        dirt park road about 200 meters. This should put you at a small tree
                        line running N and S. Head N along the line. It is a bit rough... rock
                        out croppings. Hauser Ridge rises to your left and there is open
                        "pasture" to your right. You'll see the Locher barn first and then the
                        cabin to the right. They are marked as A. Poffenberger on most maps.
                        The barn is visible from Hwy 65; the cabin is not because of
                        vegetation. Continue NNW for a couple of hundred more meters. It is
                        amazing how the vegetaion and terrain reveal themselves. This area is
                        where Grigsby's men and the artillery stopped and held Gorman's
                        Brigade while McLaws' brigades and others attacked.

                        The 15th Mass. monument is just NE of the Locher cabin, on the east
                        side of Hwy 65. I found the other good place to cross 65 is to follow
                        the farm path from the cabin, south to the barn. There is a gate in
                        the fence at the barn making it easy to get to the road for crossing.
                        The original War Dept. tour road is east of and parallels 65 here.
                        Head north a hundred meters for the 15th Mass. monument. Few people
                        recognize that tablets and monuments are along this "path."

                        I've been too verbose and perhaps stated the obvious, but I hope this
                        helps on your tour.

                        Ron Dickey

                        Message 11 of 16 , May 22 2:25 PM
                          Dear Ron,

                          Not at all. Thank you for your help.

                          God. --Anonymous
> [...]
                          > this
                          > helps on your tour.
                          >
                          > Ron Dickey
                          >
                          > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@...>
                          > wrote:
                          >>
                          >> Dear Ron,
                          >>
                          >> Thank you for the excellent suggestion! I will make contact at ANBP
                          >> with one of the rangers to arrange for a copy of that brochure to
                          >> be
                          >> sent.
                          >>
                          >> Is there also a brochure of the NW corner of the West Woods where
                          >> Pelham had his artillery?
                          >>
                          >> Yr. Obt. Svt.
                          >> G E "Gerry" Mayers
                          >>
                          >> To Be A Virginian, either by birth, marriage, adoption, or even on
                          >> one's mother's side, is an introduction to any state in the Union,
                          >> passport to any foreign country, and a benediction from the

                        • susansevier2003
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 29 5:48 AM
                            Ron,

                            Thanks for suggesting the Cornfield trail. Yesterday (Memorial Day
                            weekend) I walked the trail from Autostop 4. It was early Sunday
                            morning -- hazy but sunny; beautiful. As you predicted, I encountered
                            no one, although I did meet a fox, trotting along the northern
                            fenceline, that bounded off into the wheat when it saw me. It's only
                            when one walks the ground that one sees how deceptively contured
                            Miller's fields are. What looks like level ground from the road is
                            really a quirky patchwork of undulations. It would compartmentalize any
                            small-unit action here, the enemy appearing and disappearing from a
                            soldier's view as he moved forward.

                            The trail, after running east, turns north again towards Mansfield
                            Ave/Poffenberger lane. In this vicinity, at "the northwest angle" of
                            the woods and cornfield the artist Frank H. Schell [Battles & Leaders]
                            sketched Confederate wounded, including "a tall, young Georgian with a
                            shattered ankle" sitting next to his dead father. Would these have been
                            members of Colquitt's command?

                            David

                            Message 13 of 16 , May 29 11:09 AM
                              More likely C. M. Douglas' brigade from Lawton's Div.

                              >>> camdensquare@... 05/29/06 8:48 AM >>>
                            • susansevier2003
                              Message 14 of 16 , May 30 2:03 PM
                                After I posted my first message about Schell, I noticed John M. Priest
                                includes this incident in his Antietam book. Priest says that Frank
                                Schell sketched the wounded Confederate and his dead father shortly
                                after the artist "crossed the left of the 21 Georgia's former line"
                                (page 167). The 21st GA, part of Trimble's [Walker's] brigade, had
                                been sent forward to shore up Lawton and Ripley's line between Mumma's
                                lane and the Cornfield.

                                --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
                                <mailto:TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com> , "Thomas Clemens" <clemenst@...>

                                Message 15 of 16 , May 31 7:03 PM