125th PA regimental history

  • Harry Smeltzer
    Message 1 of 4 , May 4 1:07 PM
      I ask this here because this book is heavily weighted with Antietam
      accounts.

      I picked up an ex-lib copy of this book - marked up but all in one piece and
      not falling apart - for $15 today. It's not a reprint, but has orange
      instead of blue boards so I'm thinking the library (Erie Public) had this
      rebound at some point.

      Anyway, there is lots of good stuff in this, and I see that it's pretty
      pricey on Bookfinder. So, if you're looking for 125th or 12th Corps stuff,
      let me know. There is also a roster and some really nice portrait
      photographs along with some drawings I've never seen before.

      Harry

    • 128thpa@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 4 , May 4 2:51 PM
        Hi Harry! Thanks for the offer! I was wondering when you are looking through it, if you see anything on the 128th Pa, I would greatly appreciate knowing about it. The 125th were in the same brigade under Samuel Crawford. I am especially interested if they mention anything about where Crawford was during the battle, and anything about the death of Samuel Croasdale, Col of the 128th, and the death of Mansfield.

        There was a discussion after the war between the 10th Me and IIRC the 125th (I am not near any of my books or notes right now, so it could have been the 124th, but I really believe it was the 125th) about where Mansfield was when mortally wounded. The 10th and the 125th both claim Mansfield was deploying them when he was shot. Though in my humble opinion, based on my research of the 128th, it appears that Mansfield could have been shot anywhere, that he was going back and forth deploying troops - especially made necessary upon the almost immediate death of Croasdale. I think the debate comes from the fact that Mansfield was still riding around wounded before he collapse from his horse - so it would appear to whomever he was in front of - that he was wounded then.

        Thanks

        Paula

        From: "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@...>
        I ask this here because this book is heavily weighted with Antietam
        accounts.

        I picked up an ex-lib copy of this book - marked up but all in one piece and
        not falling apart - for $15 today. It's not a reprint, but has orange
        instead of blue boards so I'm thinking the library (Erie Public) had this
        rebound at some point.

        Anyway, there is lots of good stuff in this, and I see that it's pretty
        pricey on Bookfinder. So, if you're looking for 125th or 12th Corps stuff,
        let me know. There is also a roster and some really nice portrait
        photographs along with some drawings I've never seen before.

        Harry

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      • Harry Smeltzer
        Message 3 of 4 , May 4 6:27 PM
          OK, I'll give it a shot.

          The book is not indexed, so it's poke & hope.

          Page 66:

          "The brigade commander moved the brigade to which we were attached to the
          front east of the woods, in column of division, the 46th Pennsylvania being
          on the right and the 10th Maine on the left, with the 125h and 128th
          Pennsylvania in the rear. The leading regiments, 46th Pennsylvania, 10th
          Maine and the 28th New York, opened fire on the enemy, says the brigade
          commander, at the large cornfield, about two hundred and fifty yards in
          their front."

          "The 125th was ordered to the large cornfield, and moved forward, with
          Company "G" in its front as skirmishers, but after nearing the position of
          the three leading regiments, it was halted, and the 128th Pennsylvania, whom
          we recollect by the white haversacks and the shrill voice of its colonel,
          filed partly through our line and to the right, and moved towards the
          cornfield. It took position on the right of the 46th Pennsylvania, and at
          once engaged the enemy, meeting with heavy loss. Its colonel was killed and
          the lieutenant-colonel wounded, and it seemed to have been thrown into
          confusion. At this time the corps commander, General Mansfield, rode
          forward to a point near where they were engaged, apparently to reconnoiter
          or watch the progress of the engagement, and was mortally wounded by a
          sharpshooter. This occurred to the right front of the 125th Pennsylvania
          Regiment, about seven o'clock in the morning, and we will give the account
          of it later."

          Page 92:

          "At regimental reunions on the battlefield in 1888 and 1891, we found a
          place marked in the east woods by John M. Gould, late Adjutant of the 10th
          Maine Regiment, as the spot where the Twelfth Corps Commander, General
          Mansfield, was mortally wounded, and we also called attention to his account
          of the wounding of General Mansfield in his history of the 1st, 19th and
          29th Maine Regiments. The place he marked is more than one hundred and
          forty yards to the left rear of the location pointed out, and part of the
          circumstances connected with the wounding as given in said history are
          wrong. We were afterwards informed that Major Gould admitted he was wrong
          in fixing the location of the wounding of the Corps Commander to far to the
          rear, but to the surprise of the writer, on visiting the battlefield, on
          September 15th, 1900, he found the state of Connecticut had recently erected
          a monument to the memory of General Mansfield on the eastern side of the
          Smoketown road, and on one side of the monument is inscribed the following
          words: "The spot where General Mansfield fell is a few yards easterly from
          this monument." This fixes the place of the wounding near if not exactly at
          the spot marked by Gould, and it is more than one hundred and forty yards to
          the left rear of what we feel satisfied is the true location. The writer
          was also informed that Major Gould had delivered the principal address at
          the dedication of the monument, and that he made affidavit that the spot he
          marked was where General Mansfield was wounded." [WOW!!!!!!!!]

          The passage goes on to say that there were yet witnesses from the 125th who
          were ready "make affidavit that General Mansfield was mortally wounded at
          least one hundred and forty yards to the right front of the monument
          recently erected to his memory by the state of Connecticut on the Antietam
          Battlefield, and when wounded was first assisted by men of the 125th
          Pennsylvania Regiment."

          The analysis goes on for quite a few pages. I'll look later for any details
          on Crawford's whereabouts. If you'd like, maybe I can scan the relevant
          pages and send them to you.

          Harry

          From: "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@...>
          I ask this here because this book is heavily weighted with Antietam
          accounts.

          I picked up an ex-lib copy of this book - marked up but all in one piece and
          not falling apart - for $15 today. It's not a reprint, but has orange
          instead of blue boards so I'm thinking the library (Erie Public) had this
          rebound at some point.

          Anyway, there is lots of good stuff in this, and I see that it's pretty
          pricey on Bookfinder. So, if you're looking for 125th or 12th Corps stuff,
          let me know. There is also a roster and some really nice portrait
          photographs along with some drawings I've never seen before.

          Harry

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          Civil
          history

          Civil
          battles

          Civil

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          * Visit your group "TalkAntietam

          _____

          Message 4 of 4 , May 5 5:39 AM
            Harry;

            I think Paula Gudjunis is also very knowledgeable about the 125th PA.
            IIRC, this was the nine month unit which penetrated deepest of any
            Union units in the area of the Dunkard Church and not long before
            Sedgwick's advance into the West Woods.

            God. --Anonymous