Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Article about Hoods Texans

    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 27, 2001
      Mark Plfum wrote earlier:
      > The Ninth Army Corps was formed just before 2nd Bull Run and
      saw its
      > first action under that name in that fight. They were, I
      believe,
      > part of the Army Of Virginia that you mentioned earlier in the
      quote.

      Mark, did not the Ninth Army Corps comprise the bulk of the
      Federal expeditionary force that attacked and captured New Burn
      in North Carolina after landing near Cape Hatteras? I seem to
      recall reading somewhere that this was pretty much the case, as
      old Burnside was the commander of that amphibious expedition.

      > I know you are simply saying Dan'l was of Kentucky fame, but it
      may
      > give the missinformed the impression that he was actually FROM
      > Kentucky. We all know, of course, he was born and raised near
      > Reading, Pennsylvania and his folks were friends of the
      ancestors of
      > a guy named Abraham Lincoln. ;-)

      Your comment about Dan'l Boone is well taken. BTW, what was the
      name of Dan'l's brother?

      Your humble servant,
      Gerry Mayers
      Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

      Edward Lee
    • David Lutton
      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 27, 2001
        Ollie,

        Exactly my point. At this point of the battle the cornfield would have been
        defestated. Hence the corn would have been a non factor.

        David Lutton
        Message 3 of 27 , Aug 27, 2001
          --- In TalkAntietam@y..., "David Lutton" <dunkerch@c...> wrote:
          > Ollie,
          >
          > Exactly my point. At this point of the battle the cornfield would
          have been
          > defestated. Hence the corn would have been a non factor.
          >
          > David Lutton

          David;

          Precisely!

          I think someone else also said the cornfield had been trampled before
          Hood got there. So the corn, or what remained, provided very little
          cover.

          Ollie
        • TR Livesey
          Message 4 of 27 , Aug 27, 2001
            Ollie,

            oliverg25@... wrote:
            <general snip>

            > One thing you seem to have forgotten is that Hooker ordered the
            > cornfield to be raked with canister before any assult began. I don't
            > think there was much cover left by the time th texans got there
            >
            > Ollie

            Hooker's account is unreliable. He makes it sound like he mowed down
            a whole regiment waiting hidden in the cornfield. In fact, when
            the I corps moved out, there were no significant Confederates in
            the corn, they were in line south of it.

            Furthermore, I doubt that Hooker could have possibly irradicated an
            entire 30 acre cornfield, no matter how much canister he used.
            Anyway, we are interested here in the southern end of it.

            TRL
          • Oliver Gamble
            Message 5 of 27 , Aug 27, 2001

              Sent: Sunday, August 26, 2001 11:14 PM
              Subject: Re: [TalkAntietam] Article about Hoods Texans

              David,

              Corn planting patterns were different in 1862, not nearly as
              dense, with rows being wide enough for a horse to move between.

              Not So!
              Once the corn is planted a horse never goes into the field. Plowing and planting is usually done with a team of horses, not one.

              Amish farmers in PA still use horses and mules and their rows are tighter than those of farmers using tractors.

               O.G.
            • Tom Clemens
              Message 6 of 27 , Aug 27, 2001
                In the 19th Century, they used hills of corn, and check-row pattern allowed a
                lot of traffic in the cornfields. Think of it and a checkerboard where every
                corner is a hill of corn. It was usually hand planted, not with horses and
                machine planters. Bill Christen knows much about it than I do, ask him.

                oliverg25@... wrote:

                > --- In TalkAntietam@y..., TR Livesey <westwood@e...> wrote:
                > > David,
                > >
                > > > Corn planting patterns were different in 1862, not nearly as
                > > dense, with rows being wide enough for a horse to move between.
                > > This would imply that the corn will have different degrees of
                > > concealment,
                >
                > Not So!
                > Once the corn is planted a horse never goes into the field. Plowing
                > and planting is usually done with a team of horses, not one. after
                > planting there is no need for a horse to go back into the field. Also
                > a horse does not damage the top soil as much as a tractor wheel
                >
                > Amish farmers in PA still use horses and mules and their rows are
                > tighter than those of farmers using tractors. Their fields are so
                > tight you can not look down a row.
                >
                > This might come through twice when Hotmail gets its act together.
                >
                > O.G.

              • Tom Clemens
                Message 7 of 27 , Aug 27, 2001
                  Squire Boone.

                  Message 8 of 27 , Apr 28, 2002
                    Group;

                    If you have a Preview option on your email program, I recommend
                    you use it. It will allow you to see what attachments are
                    attached before you open the email! If you see anything ending
                    with .pif or .bat as an attachment or .exe, DELETE it
                    immediately! (Many viruses come with either of the three
                    extensions.)

                    Also, run Trend Micro Antivirus web based scanning, Norton Anti
                    Virus or any similar program to locate any virus infections you
                    might have and then clean.

                    The KLEZ-G variant worm virus has been running amuck in this
                    group, and already caused one member to have his account delisted
                    by the moderator.

                    Your humble servant,
                    Gerry Mayers
                    Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

                    Edward Lee

                    > > > Corn planting patterns were different in 1862, not nearly
                    as
                    > > dense, with rows being wide enough for a horse to move
                    between.
                    > > This would imply that the corn will have different degrees of
                    > > concealment,
                    >
                    > Not So!
                    > Once the corn is planted a horse never goes into the field.
                    Plowing
                    > and planting is usually done with a team of horses, not one.
                    after
                    > planting there is no need for a horse to go back into the
                    field. Also
                    > a horse does not damage the top soil as much as a tractor wheel
                    >
                    > Amish farmers in PA still use horses and mules and their rows
                    are
                    > tighter than those of farmers using tractors. Their fields are
                    so
                    > tight you can not look down a row.
                    >
                    > This might come through twice when Hotmail gets its act
                    together.

                    > O.G.
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    Service.