Re: Hooker @ West Point

  • Brian Downey
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 28 9:06 AM
      FWIW, Stephen, Heitmann has Hooker at #29. At least that's what my
      copy looks like.

      Brian

      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 28 9:33 AM
        Interesting. It was on the Internet, so it must be true. ;-)

        I got my info from Harper's Weekly:

        http://www.sonofthesouth.net/leefoundation/civil-war/1863/february/
        fighting-joe-hooker-biography.htm

        Stephen

        On Friday, April 28, 2006, at 12:06 PM, Brian Downey wrote:

        > FWIW, Stephen, Heitmann has Hooker at #29. At least that's what my
        > copy looks like.
      • barringer63
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 28 9:39 AM
          Brian Downey wrote:

          > FWIW, Stephen, Heitmann has Hooker at #29. At least that's what my
          > copy looks like.

          Mine too, Brian, as does the official register for the class of
          1837. Among the familiar names of classmates who ranked higher than
          Joe are Edward Townsend, Jubal Early, John Sedgwick, and John
          Pemberton. To find more on Hooker and his career go to:

          http://www.library.usma.edu/archives/special.asp

          Hooker's Cullum number is 919, which is the way you need to search
          for him.

          Teej
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 28 10:19 AM
            Yes, Patti Faust's book has 29th too. However, I don't think too much
            should be made of the ranking. As your list demonstates, rank had
            little to do with success in a military career.

            >>> teej@... 4/28/2006 12:39:18 PM >>>

            Brian Downey wrote:

            > FWIW, Stephen, Heitmann has Hooker at #29. At least that's what my
            > copy looks like.

            Mine too, Brian, as does the official register for the class of
            1837. Among the familiar names of classmates who ranked higher than
            Joe are Edward Townsend, Jubal Early, John Sedgwick, and John
            Pemberton. To find more on Hooker and his career go to:

            http://www.library.usma.edu/archives/special.asp

            Hooker's Cullum number is 919, which is the way you need to search
            for him.

            Teej

            Civil war history Civil war battles Civil war
            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 28 11:15 AM
              Fair enough, then. 29th it is! Thanks for chiming in, ya'll.

              Stephen