Re: [TalkAntietam] Hooker @ West Point

    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 28, 2006
      Stephen;

      IIRC all cadets graduating from USMA before the War were commissioned
      as Brevet Second Lieutenants.

      God. --Anonymous
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 28, 2006
        Found it. #28. Thanks.

        -sjr

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 28, 2006
          I'm sorry, what I meant was that I was looking for what place in his
          class he graduated. I found it. It is #28. Thanks.

          -sjr

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 28, 2006
            Is there a date set for the re-dedication of the Maryland Monument?
            Thanks.

            Stephen
          • Brian Downey
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 28, 2006
              FWIW, Stephen, Heitmann has Hooker at #29. At least that's what my
              copy looks like.

              Brian

              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 28, 2006
                Interesting. It was on the Internet, so it must be true. ;-)

                I got my info from Harper's Weekly:

                http://www.sonofthesouth.net/leefoundation/civil-war/1863/february/
                fighting-joe-hooker-biography.htm

                Stephen

                On Friday, April 28, 2006, at 12:06 PM, Brian Downey wrote:

                > FWIW, Stephen, Heitmann has Hooker at #29. At least that's what my
                > copy looks like.
              • barringer63
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 28, 2006
                  Brian Downey wrote:

                  > FWIW, Stephen, Heitmann has Hooker at #29. At least that's what my
                  > copy looks like.

                  Mine too, Brian, as does the official register for the class of
                  1837. Among the familiar names of classmates who ranked higher than
                  Joe are Edward Townsend, Jubal Early, John Sedgwick, and John
                  Pemberton. To find more on Hooker and his career go to:

                  http://www.library.usma.edu/archives/special.asp

                  Hooker's Cullum number is 919, which is the way you need to search
                  for him.

                  Teej
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 28, 2006
                    Yes, Patti Faust's book has 29th too. However, I don't think too much
                    should be made of the ranking. As your list demonstates, rank had
                    little to do with success in a military career.

                    >>> teej@... 4/28/2006 12:39:18 PM >>>

                    Brian Downey wrote:

                    > FWIW, Stephen, Heitmann has Hooker at #29. At least that's what my
                    > copy looks like.

                    Mine too, Brian, as does the official register for the class of
                    1837. Among the familiar names of classmates who ranked higher than
                    Joe are Edward Townsend, Jubal Early, John Sedgwick, and John
                    Pemberton. To find more on Hooker and his career go to:

                    http://www.library.usma.edu/archives/special.asp

                    Hooker's Cullum number is 919, which is the way you need to search
                    for him.

                    Teej

                    Civil war history Civil war battles Civil war
                    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 28, 2006
                      Fair enough, then. 29th it is! Thanks for chiming in, ya'll.

                      Stephen