Hooker @ West Point

    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 28, 2006
      What rank did Hooker graduate in the West Point class of 1837? Thanks.

      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 28, 2006
        Stephen;

        IIRC all cadets graduating from USMA before the War were commissioned
        as Brevet Second Lieutenants.

        God. --Anonymous

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 28, 2006
          Found it. #28. Thanks.

          -sjr

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 28, 2006
            I'm sorry, what I meant was that I was looking for what place in his
            class he graduated. I found it. It is #28. Thanks.

            -sjr

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 28, 2006
              Is there a date set for the re-dedication of the Maryland Monument?
              Thanks.

              Stephen
            • Brian Downey
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 28, 2006
                FWIW, Stephen, Heitmann has Hooker at #29. At least that's what my
                copy looks like.

                Brian

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 28, 2006
                  Interesting. It was on the Internet, so it must be true. ;-)

                  I got my info from Harper's Weekly:

                  http://www.sonofthesouth.net/leefoundation/civil-war/1863/february/
                  fighting-joe-hooker-biography.htm

                  Stephen

                  On Friday, April 28, 2006, at 12:06 PM, Brian Downey wrote:

                  > FWIW, Stephen, Heitmann has Hooker at #29. At least that's what my
                  > copy looks like.
                • barringer63
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 28, 2006
                    Brian Downey wrote:

                    > FWIW, Stephen, Heitmann has Hooker at #29. At least that's what my
                    > copy looks like.

                    Mine too, Brian, as does the official register for the class of
                    1837. Among the familiar names of classmates who ranked higher than
                    Joe are Edward Townsend, Jubal Early, John Sedgwick, and John
                    Pemberton. To find more on Hooker and his career go to:

                    http://www.library.usma.edu/archives/special.asp

                    Hooker's Cullum number is 919, which is the way you need to search
                    for him.

                    Teej
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 28, 2006
                      Yes, Patti Faust's book has 29th too. However, I don't think too much
                      should be made of the ranking. As your list demonstates, rank had
                      little to do with success in a military career.

                      >>> teej@... 4/28/2006 12:39:18 PM >>>

                      Brian Downey wrote:

                      > FWIW, Stephen, Heitmann has Hooker at #29. At least that's what my
                      > copy looks like.

                      Mine too, Brian, as does the official register for the class of
                      1837. Among the familiar names of classmates who ranked higher than
                      Joe are Edward Townsend, Jubal Early, John Sedgwick, and John
                      Pemberton. To find more on Hooker and his career go to:

                      http://www.library.usma.edu/archives/special.asp

                      Hooker's Cullum number is 919, which is the way you need to search
                      for him.

                      Teej

                      Civil war history Civil war battles Civil war
                      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 28, 2006
                        Fair enough, then. 29th it is! Thanks for chiming in, ya'll.

                        Stephen