Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: re September 14th questions

    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 20, 2006
      Harry;

      Thanks. This is something I did not know... So Garland is to blame for
      no artillery on the Confederate right flank at the Gap?

      God. --Anonymous
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 20, 2006
        Teej;

        This is good information, but IMHO it pretty much shows that Reilly;s
        Battery was not engaged at all.

        God. --Anonymous
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 20, 2006
          I wouldn't put it that way, Gerry. Garland did not order them back before
          they saw action. IIRC, he ordered them back when the position became
          untenable.

          ----

          _____

          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 20, 2006
            Hi Gerry,

            Do you have a particular hypothesis behind your question about
            artillery at Fox's? It seems clear there were artillery units present
            and engaged, vis:
            At about half a mile from the summit, at Fox's Gap, the
            enemy had opened upon Scammon with case shot from the edge of the
            timber above the open fields ... about 9 o'clock. Bayonets were fixed,
            and at the word the lines charged forward with loud hurrahs. The enemy
            opened with musketry and shrapnel ... the cover of the forest had
            enabled the enemy's guns to get away toward our right ... About noon
            the combat was reduced to one of artillery, and the enemy's guns had
            so completely the range of the sloping fields behind us that their
            canister shot cut long furrows in the sod, with a noise like the
            cutting of a melon rind.
            (Jacob Cox, Kanawha Division, years later in Battles and Leaders)
            Brian

            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 20, 2006
              Thanks.....

              God. --Anonymous

              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 20, 2006
                Brian,

                How accurate is the B&L account? Can it be verified through other
                sources?

                I think if rather strange that, if artillery on the Confederate side
                was indeed there, why at least one of the regiments fighting on the
                right of the Confederate line in the Gap would be silent about it?

                God. --Anonymous
                > Do you have a particular hypothesis behind your question about
                > artillery at Fox's? It seems clear there were artillery units
                > present
                > and engaged, vis:
                > At about half a mile from the summit, at Fox's Gap, the
                > enemy had opened upon Scammon with case shot from the edge of the
                > timber above the open fields ... about 9 o'clock. Bayonets were
                > fixed,
                > and at the word the lines charged forward with loud hurrahs. The
                > enemy
                > opened with musketry and shrapnel ... the cover of the forest had
                > enabled the enemy's guns to get away toward our right ... About noon
                > the combat was reduced to one of artillery, and the enemy's guns had
                > so completely the range of the sloping fields behind us that their
                > canister shot cut long furrows in the sod, with a noise like the
                > cutting of a melon rind.
                > (Jacob Cox, Kanawha Division, years later in Battles and Leaders)
                > Brian

                > Service.

              • Brian Downey
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 21, 2006
                  I withdraw my nomination of Wofford as interim commander of the
                  division while Hood was under arrest. It clearly was not he. I should
                  learn not to guess on the fly.

                  I agree with Harry's find from STS. I could find no better answer in
                  a search of materials last night.

                  --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@...> wrote:

                  > Harsh, STS, page 57:
                  >

                  > "Longstreet apparently had a penchant for three-brigade divisions,
                  an, at
                  > some point during the Second Manassas Campaign, ha assigned Evans's
                  brigade,
                  > recently arrived from South Carolina, to this [Hood's] division.
                  Whether he
                  > did so intentionally or not, he thereby succeeded Hood in command,
                  because
                  > Evans's commission was of an earlier date. Hood and Evans
                  apparently did
                  > not get along, and on August 31, over a question of captured wagons,
                  Evans
                  > placed Hood under arrest, where he remained until September 14.
                  Presumably,
                  > although evidence is lacking, Evans commanded the division in the
                  > intervening two weeks."
                  >

                  > So he says evidence is lacking and logic prevails. I don't think
                  I'm going

                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 24, 2006
                    Brian;

                    No problem.

                    I have STS also and will check out the pages Harry mentioned.

                    God. --Anonymous