RE: [TalkAntietam] Re: re September 14th questions

    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 20, 2006
      Yes they were there, but preceded by part of the Horse Artillery from
      Stuart.

      >>> hjs21@... 4/20/2006 11:07:05 AM >>>

      Why am I thinking Bondurant's battery was at Fox's Gap?

      Harry

      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 20, 2006
        Harsh, STS, page 57:

        "Longstreet apparently had a penchant for three-brigade divisions, an, at
        some point during the Second Manassas Campaign, ha assigned Evans's brigade,
        recently arrived from South Carolina, to this [Hood's] division. Whether he
        did so intentionally or not, he thereby succeeded Hood in command, because
        Evans's commission was of an earlier date. Hood and Evans apparently did
        not get along, and on August 31, over a question of captured wagons, Evans
        placed Hood under arrest, where he remained until September 14. Presumably,
        although evidence is lacking, Evans commanded the division in the
        intervening two weeks."

        So he says evidence is lacking and logic prevails. I don't think I'm going
        to be able to improve on that.

        Harry

        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 20, 2006
          I will check out the 2nd NC, as it was part of the brigade the 4thNC
          was in.

          God. --Anonymous
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 20, 2006
            IIRC, Bondurant after being ordered away (by Garland?) briefly stopped at
            Pelham's former position.

            Harry

            ----

            _____

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            * Visit your group "TalkAntietam

            _____

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            Civil
            history

            Civil
            battles

            Civil

            _____

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            * Visit your group "TalkAntietam

            _____

          • barringer63
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 20, 2006
              Gerry Mayers wrote:

              > I will check out the 2nd NC, as it was part of the brigade the
              4thNC
              > was in.

              Gerry,

              Maybe an excerpt from this sketch written by Capt John A. Ramsey,
              Co. D, 10th Regiment N.C.S.T (1st Regiment N.C. Artillery) in
              Clark's will help. The battery referred to in this sketch
              is "Reilly's Battery). "On 14th left camp about 10 o'clock a.m.,
              marched one mile towards Hagerstown and halted to procure and cook
              rations. The men and horses had been without rations for over twenty-
              four hours. The Marylanders were so patriotic they would not sell us
              wood but we finally bought wood and the rations were on the fire.
              About 1 o'clock p.m. a courier came galloping up with orders to
              proceed in a gallop to South Muntain and report to General D.H.
              Hill. The assembly was blown, the horses had been fed and were
              quickly harnessed, the drivers and mn took some of the halg-cooked
              off of the fire, and in about seven minutes the battery was rumbling
              over the National road to South Mountain. The battery arrived at
              South Mountain about 3 o'clock p.m. General Hill was in the gap, and
              assigned the battery to a position. the right gun was near the
              hotel. General Hill gave special orders not to fire unless he
              ordered it, or our troops were driven up the mountain and past us.
              We remained under the enemy's fire all afternoon, but under orders
              could not return it. About an hour after dark the batery left the
              position and encamped near the foot of the mountain. On 15th the
              battery was ordred to march in the rear of the army as a part of the
              rear-guard. Marched eight miles and was ordered to tak position on
              the right-hand side of the road leading from Sharpsburg to the stone
              bridge across Antietam Creek."

              Teej
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 20, 2006
                Harry;

                Thanks. This is something I did not know... So Garland is to blame for
                no artillery on the Confederate right flank at the Gap?

                God. --Anonymous

                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 20, 2006
                  Teej;

                  This is good information, but IMHO it pretty much shows that Reilly;s
                  Battery was not engaged at all.

                  God. --Anonymous
                  >> I will check out the 2nd NC, as it was part of the brigade the
                  > 4thNC
                  >> was in.
                  >
                  > Gerry,
                  >
                  > Maybe an excerpt from this sketch written by Capt John A. Ramsey,
                  > Co. D, 10th Regiment N.C.S.T (1st Regiment N.C. Artillery) in
                  > Clark's will help. The battery referred to in this sketch
                  > is "Reilly's Battery). "On 14th left camp about 10 o'clock a.m.,
                  > marched one mile towards Hagerstown and halted to procure and cook
                  > rations. The men and horses had been without rations for over
                  > twenty-
                  > four hours. The Marylanders were so patriotic they would not sell us
                  > wood but we finally bought wood and the rations were on the fire.
                  > About 1 o'clock p.m. a courier came galloping up with orders to
                  > proceed in a gallop to South Muntain and report to General D.H.
                  > Hill. The assembly was blown, the horses had been fed and were
                  > quickly harnessed, the drivers and mn took some of the halg-cooked
                  > off of the fire, and in about seven minutes the battery was rumbling
                  > over the National road to South Mountain. The battery arrived at
                  > South Mountain about 3 o'clock p.m. General Hill was in the gap, and
                  > assigned the battery to a position. the right gun was near the
                  > hotel. General Hill gave special orders not to fire unless he
                  > ordered it, or our troops were driven up the mountain and past us.
                  > We remained under the enemy's fire all afternoon, but under orders
                  > could not return it. About an hour after dark the batery left the
                  > position and encamped near the foot of the mountain. On 15th the
                  > battery was ordred to march in the rear of the army as a part of the
                  > rear-guard. Marched eight miles and was ordered to tak position on
                  > the right-hand side of the road leading from Sharpsburg to the stone
                  > bridge across Antietam Creek."
                  >
                  > Teej

                  > Service.

                • Harry Smeltzer
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 20, 2006
                    I wouldn't put it that way, Gerry. Garland did not order them back before
                    they saw action. IIRC, he ordered them back when the position became
                    untenable.

                    ----

                    _____

                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 20, 2006
                      Hi Gerry,

                      Do you have a particular hypothesis behind your question about
                      artillery at Fox's? It seems clear there were artillery units present
                      and engaged, vis:
                      At about half a mile from the summit, at Fox's Gap, the
                      enemy had opened upon Scammon with case shot from the edge of the
                      timber above the open fields ... about 9 o'clock. Bayonets were fixed,
                      and at the word the lines charged forward with loud hurrahs. The enemy
                      opened with musketry and shrapnel ... the cover of the forest had
                      enabled the enemy's guns to get away toward our right ... About noon
                      the combat was reduced to one of artillery, and the enemy's guns had
                      so completely the range of the sloping fields behind us that their
                      canister shot cut long furrows in the sod, with a noise like the
                      cutting of a melon rind.
                      (Jacob Cox, Kanawha Division, years later in Battles and Leaders)
                      Brian

                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 20, 2006
                        Thanks.....

                        God. --Anonymous

                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 20, 2006
                          Brian,

                          How accurate is the B&L account? Can it be verified through other
                          sources?

                          I think if rather strange that, if artillery on the Confederate side
                          was indeed there, why at least one of the regiments fighting on the
                          right of the Confederate line in the Gap would be silent about it?

                          God. --Anonymous
                          > Do you have a particular hypothesis behind your question about
                          > artillery at Fox's? It seems clear there were artillery units
                          > present
                          > and engaged, vis:
                          > At about half a mile from the summit, at Fox's Gap, the
                          > enemy had opened upon Scammon with case shot from the edge of the
                          > timber above the open fields ... about 9 o'clock. Bayonets were
                          > fixed,
                          > and at the word the lines charged forward with loud hurrahs. The
                          > enemy
                          > opened with musketry and shrapnel ... the cover of the forest had
                          > enabled the enemy's guns to get away toward our right ... About noon
                          > the combat was reduced to one of artillery, and the enemy's guns had
                          > so completely the range of the sloping fields behind us that their
                          > canister shot cut long furrows in the sod, with a noise like the
                          > cutting of a melon rind.
                          > (Jacob Cox, Kanawha Division, years later in Battles and Leaders)
                          > Brian

                          > Service.

                        • Brian Downey
                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 21, 2006
                            I withdraw my nomination of Wofford as interim commander of the
                            division while Hood was under arrest. It clearly was not he. I should
                            learn not to guess on the fly.

                            I agree with Harry's find from STS. I could find no better answer in
                            a search of materials last night.

                            Message 13 of 23 , Apr 24, 2006
                              Brian;

                              No problem.

                              I have STS also and will check out the pages Harry mentioned.

                              God. --Anonymous