RE: [TalkAntietam] Re: re September 14th questions

  • Harry Smeltzer
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 20, 2006
      Here are some of the sources listed relative to Bondurant in Priest's book:

      A 7/15/99 letter to Carman from John Purifoy.

      A manuscript at USMAHI by James Abraham, "With the Army of West Virginia
      1861-1864".

      You might want to check 2nd NC accounts as well as 36th OH.

      Since all Confederates were lying, thieving, murderous, secesh scum it
      shouldn't surprise that their accounts don't jive,

      Harry

      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 20, 2006
        Yes they were there, but preceded by part of the Horse Artillery from
        Stuart.

        >>> hjs21@... 4/20/2006 11:07:05 AM >>>

        ----

        _____

        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 20, 2006
          Tom;

          Question still remains who commanded Hood's force while Hood under
          arrest? Did not Lee have Evans independent during the latter part of
          the campaign?

          Hood would not back down from his position as of 14th September and
          Lee suspended the arrest so he could lead his boys into the fight.

          God. --Anonymous
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 20, 2006
            Right, but I am not sure who would take over. My guess is Law, but will
            have to look it up at home, if I can find anything.

            >>> gerry1952@... 4/20/2006 12:41:56 PM >>>

            Tom;

            Question still remains who commanded Hood's force while Hood under
            arrest? Did not Lee have Evans independent during the latter part of
            the campaign?

            Hood would not back down from his position as of 14th September and
            Lee suspended the arrest so he could lead his boys into the fight.

            God. --Anonymous
            > Going from memory here, but the problem was Hood and Evans were
            > fueding
            > so Lee separated the command. He gave Hood the two brigades andd
            > Evans
            > as an independent brigade. I think Lee's Lts. gets into this, as
            > does
            > Harsh, but IIRC Lee wanted Hood in command of the division, but
            > Evans
            > was senior, hence the separation. Evans didn't like it and
            > continued
            > thinking Hood was under his command.
            >

            > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.

            > Gerry's question about who commanded Hood's Division while he was
            > under
            > arrest is a good one!
            >
            > I cannot find the reference in Harsh's book that cites Wofford as in
            > command. Anyone find it? When Hood was wounded at Gettysburg, Law
            > (not
            > Wofford) got command of the division.
            >
            > I also wonder if Evans was in command of the division before South
            > Mtn
            > . If you read his report, it seems he is making reference to his
            > being
            > in command of a division....
            >
            > "On August [September] 14 my division was ordered to support the
            > command of Brigadier-General Rodes, on the left of the road near
            > South
            > Mountain. On marching my brigade up the mountain on our extreme
            > left, I
            > was informed that the two brigades under the immediate command of
            > Brigadier-General Hood had been detached, by order of the
            > major-general
            > commanding, to support our right....."
            >
            > Tom Shay

            > arrest?
            >> >>
            >> > I recall this was Colonel William T. Wofford. Prof. Harsh talks
            > about this in Taken at the Flood.
            > .
            >> >
            >> > Brian

            >> > c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
            >> > Service.

            >> Yahoo! Groups Links

            > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
            >
            > Visit your group "TalkAntietam" on the web.
            > Service.

            > Service.

            Civil war history Civil war battles Civil war
            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          • Harry Smeltzer
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 20, 2006
              Harsh, STS, page 57:

              "Longstreet apparently had a penchant for three-brigade divisions, an, at
              some point during the Second Manassas Campaign, ha assigned Evans's brigade,
              recently arrived from South Carolina, to this [Hood's] division. Whether he
              did so intentionally or not, he thereby succeeded Hood in command, because
              Evans's commission was of an earlier date. Hood and Evans apparently did
              not get along, and on August 31, over a question of captured wagons, Evans
              placed Hood under arrest, where he remained until September 14. Presumably,
              although evidence is lacking, Evans commanded the division in the
              intervening two weeks."

              So he says evidence is lacking and logic prevails. I don't think I'm going
              to be able to improve on that.

              Harry

              ----

              ----

              Civil war history Civil war battles Civil war
              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              Civil
              history

              Civil
              battles

              Civil

              _____

              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 20, 2006
                I will check out the 2nd NC, as it was part of the brigade the 4thNC
                was in.

                God. --Anonymous
                > Here are some of the sources listed relative to Bondurant in
                > Priest's book:
                >

                > A 7/15/99 letter to Carman from John Purifoy.
                >

                > A manuscript at USMAHI by James Abraham, "With the Army of West
                > Virginia
                > 1861-1864".
                >

                > You might want to check 2nd NC accounts as well as 36th OH.
                >

                > Since all Confederates were lying, thieving, murderous, secesh scum
                > it
                > shouldn't surprise that their accounts don't jive,
                >

                > Harry

              • Harry Smeltzer
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 20, 2006
                  IIRC, Bondurant after being ordered away (by Garland?) briefly stopped at
                  Pelham's former position.

                  Harry

                  ----

                  _____

                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                  * Visit your group "TalkAntietam

                  _____

                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                  Civil
                  history

                  Civil
                  battles

                  Civil

                  _____

                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                  * Visit your group "TalkAntietam

                  _____

                • barringer63
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 20, 2006
                    Gerry Mayers wrote:

                    > I will check out the 2nd NC, as it was part of the brigade the
                    4thNC
                    > was in.

                    Gerry,

                    Maybe an excerpt from this sketch written by Capt John A. Ramsey,
                    Co. D, 10th Regiment N.C.S.T (1st Regiment N.C. Artillery) in
                    Clark's will help. The battery referred to in this sketch
                    is "Reilly's Battery). "On 14th left camp about 10 o'clock a.m.,
                    marched one mile towards Hagerstown and halted to procure and cook
                    rations. The men and horses had been without rations for over twenty-
                    four hours. The Marylanders were so patriotic they would not sell us
                    wood but we finally bought wood and the rations were on the fire.
                    About 1 o'clock p.m. a courier came galloping up with orders to
                    proceed in a gallop to South Muntain and report to General D.H.
                    Hill. The assembly was blown, the horses had been fed and were
                    quickly harnessed, the drivers and mn took some of the halg-cooked
                    off of the fire, and in about seven minutes the battery was rumbling
                    over the National road to South Mountain. The battery arrived at
                    South Mountain about 3 o'clock p.m. General Hill was in the gap, and
                    assigned the battery to a position. the right gun was near the
                    hotel. General Hill gave special orders not to fire unless he
                    ordered it, or our troops were driven up the mountain and past us.
                    We remained under the enemy's fire all afternoon, but under orders
                    could not return it. About an hour after dark the batery left the
                    position and encamped near the foot of the mountain. On 15th the
                    battery was ordred to march in the rear of the army as a part of the
                    rear-guard. Marched eight miles and was ordered to tak position on
                    the right-hand side of the road leading from Sharpsburg to the stone
                    bridge across Antietam Creek."

                    Teej
                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 20, 2006
                      Harry;

                      Thanks. This is something I did not know... So Garland is to blame for
                      no artillery on the Confederate right flank at the Gap?

                      God. --Anonymous

                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 20, 2006
                        Teej;

                        This is good information, but IMHO it pretty much shows that Reilly;s
                        Battery was not engaged at all.

                        God. --Anonymous
                        >> I will check out the 2nd NC, as it was part of the brigade the
                        > 4thNC
                        >> was in.
                        >
                        > Gerry,
                        >
                        > Maybe an excerpt from this sketch written by Capt John A. Ramsey,
                        > Co. D, 10th Regiment N.C.S.T (1st Regiment N.C. Artillery) in
                        > Clark's will help. The battery referred to in this sketch
                        > is "Reilly's Battery). "On 14th left camp about 10 o'clock a.m.,
                        > marched one mile towards Hagerstown and halted to procure and cook
                        > rations. The men and horses had been without rations for over
                        > twenty-
                        > four hours. The Marylanders were so patriotic they would not sell us
                        > wood but we finally bought wood and the rations were on the fire.
                        > About 1 o'clock p.m. a courier came galloping up with orders to
                        > proceed in a gallop to South Muntain and report to General D.H.
                        > Hill. The assembly was blown, the horses had been fed and were
                        > quickly harnessed, the drivers and mn took some of the halg-cooked
                        > off of the fire, and in about seven minutes the battery was rumbling
                        > over the National road to South Mountain. The battery arrived at
                        > South Mountain about 3 o'clock p.m. General Hill was in the gap, and
                        > assigned the battery to a position. the right gun was near the
                        > hotel. General Hill gave special orders not to fire unless he
                        > ordered it, or our troops were driven up the mountain and past us.
                        > We remained under the enemy's fire all afternoon, but under orders
                        > could not return it. About an hour after dark the batery left the
                        > position and encamped near the foot of the mountain. On 15th the
                        > battery was ordred to march in the rear of the army as a part of the
                        > rear-guard. Marched eight miles and was ordered to tak position on
                        > the right-hand side of the road leading from Sharpsburg to the stone
                        > bridge across Antietam Creek."
                        >
                        > Teej

                        > Service.

                      • Harry Smeltzer
                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 20, 2006
                          I wouldn't put it that way, Gerry. Garland did not order them back before
                          they saw action. IIRC, he ordered them back when the position became
                          untenable.

                          ----

                          _____

                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 20, 2006
                            Hi Gerry,

                            Do you have a particular hypothesis behind your question about
                            artillery at Fox's? It seems clear there were artillery units present
                            and engaged, vis:
                            At about half a mile from the summit, at Fox's Gap, the
                            enemy had opened upon Scammon with case shot from the edge of the
                            timber above the open fields ... about 9 o'clock. Bayonets were fixed,
                            and at the word the lines charged forward with loud hurrahs. The enemy
                            opened with musketry and shrapnel ... the cover of the forest had
                            enabled the enemy's guns to get away toward our right ... About noon
                            the combat was reduced to one of artillery, and the enemy's guns had
                            so completely the range of the sloping fields behind us that their
                            canister shot cut long furrows in the sod, with a noise like the
                            cutting of a melon rind.
                            (Jacob Cox, Kanawha Division, years later in Battles and Leaders)
                            Brian

                            Message 13 of 23 , Apr 20, 2006
                              Thanks.....

                              God. --Anonymous

                              Message 14 of 23 , Apr 20, 2006
                                Brian,

                                How accurate is the B&L account? Can it be verified through other
                                sources?

                                I think if rather strange that, if artillery on the Confederate side
                                was indeed there, why at least one of the regiments fighting on the
                                right of the Confederate line in the Gap would be silent about it?

                                God. --Anonymous
                                > Do you have a particular hypothesis behind your question about
                                > artillery at Fox's? It seems clear there were artillery units
                                > present
                                > and engaged, vis:
                                > At about half a mile from the summit, at Fox's Gap, the
                                > enemy had opened upon Scammon with case shot from the edge of the
                                > timber above the open fields ... about 9 o'clock. Bayonets were
                                > fixed,
                                > and at the word the lines charged forward with loud hurrahs. The
                                > enemy
                                > opened with musketry and shrapnel ... the cover of the forest had
                                > enabled the enemy's guns to get away toward our right ... About noon
                                > the combat was reduced to one of artillery, and the enemy's guns had
                                > so completely the range of the sloping fields behind us that their
                                > canister shot cut long furrows in the sod, with a noise like the
                                > cutting of a melon rind.
                                > (Jacob Cox, Kanawha Division, years later in Battles and Leaders)
                                > Brian

                                > Service.

                              • Brian Downey
                                Message 15 of 23 , Apr 21, 2006
                                  I withdraw my nomination of Wofford as interim commander of the
                                  division while Hood was under arrest. It clearly was not he. I should
                                  learn not to guess on the fly.

                                  I agree with Harry's find from STS. I could find no better answer in
                                  a search of materials last night.

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Apr 24, 2006
                                    Brian;

                                    No problem.

                                    I have STS also and will check out the pages Harry mentioned.

                                    God. --Anonymous