Skip to search.

Maramede House on the National Road

  • jeffcowvplanning
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 14, 2006
      Since we are talking about houses...perhaps someone can direct me to
      the Civil War significance of Maramede or Marameade....located on the
      south side of US Alt. 40 between Middletown and South Mountain.

      It has a sign out front saying Circa 1790, but it has a late 19th
      Century mansard roof on it.

      I thought I had heard that Meade used this as his headquarters in Mid
      July, 1863 on the way through from Gettysburg. I don't think that
      McClellan's HQ was there...according to what I can find, he was on a
      farm just west of the crossroads called "Bolivar". Marameade is east
      of Bolivar, on the way back to Middletown.

      I did a web search and found nothing.

      Any help on this one?

      Thanks.
      Steve Bockmiller
    • Tom Shay
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 14, 2006
        From Blue & Gray Vol XXI Issue 6 (the Iron Brigade issue)...

        "Marameade" was Maj. Gen George B McClellan's headquarters during the Battle
        of South Mountain, and on the grounds of this estate was placed the heavier
        artillery to support the attack.

        > Since we are talking about houses...perhaps someone can direct me to
        > the Civil War significance of Maramede or Marameade....located on the
        > south side of US Alt. 40 between Middletown and South Mountain.
        >
        > It has a sign out front saying Circa 1790, but it has a late 19th
        > Century mansard roof on it.
        >
        > I thought I had heard that Meade used this as his headquarters in Mid
        > July, 1863 on the way through from Gettysburg. I don't think that
        > McClellan's HQ was there...according to what I can find, he was on a
        > farm just west of the crossroads called "Bolivar". Marameade is east
        > of Bolivar, on the way back to Middletown.
        >
        > I did a web search and found nothing.
        >
        > Any help on this one?
        >
        > Thanks.
        > Steve Bockmiller
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • jeffcowvplanning
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 15, 2006
          Tom..

          Thanks for that info. I got my information about McClellan from a
          map of the batttle in "The Official Military Atlas of the CW", which
          put him on the farm on the south side of the pike, west of Bolivar.

          I am going to visit Minersville around 4 pm on my way from my in-laws
          near Hershey to working at a Civil War dance in Scranton that night.
          So it would be around 4. If you want to meet, I will be happy to set
          a specific meeting time.

          Steve

          --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Shay" <RoteBaron@...> wrote:

          > From Blue & Gray Vol XXI Issue 6 (the Iron Brigade issue)...
          >
          > "Marameade" was Maj. Gen George B McClellan's headquarters during
          the Battle
          > of South Mountain, and on the grounds of this estate was placed the
          heavier
          > artillery to support the attack.
          >
          > Tom Shay

        • Jeff Beckner (PWC Magazine)
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 17, 2006
            Is that where he sat on his horse next to the road, dramatically
            pointing towards the mountain?