Lack of Spring tours

  • RoteBaron@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
      Stephen,

      I've been checking the NPS website for news on some Spring tours, but none appear in the horizon. Unless some tours are soon announced, I'm going to head to Antietam on April 21 for some field stomping of my own.

      Is the lack of tours the result of some NPS decision, perhaps a result of funding problems, etc?

      Also, anyone know if the SHAF cleanup took place last weekend? Did rain cause a reschedule of it?

      From: Stephen Recker <recker@...>
      I know we have all been disappointed by the small offering of ranger tours this
      spring.

      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
        Tom S and Stephen,

        That may be true. There may not be enough rangers to lead tours on the
        major dates.

        All the more reason for the battlefield guides......

        Tom, you also could be a battlefield guide with what you know of the
        field.

        God. --Anonymous

      • Marc73@aol.com
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
          In a message dated 04/12/06 12:43:40 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          gerry1952@... writes:

          Tom, you also could be a battlefield guide with what you know of the
          field.

          Tom would require everyone on his tour to ride a bike....I don't think I
          have ever seen Tom without his bike on a battlefield....by the way Tom, you
          could lead tours at Antietam with no problems....

          Marc Riddell

          83rd PVI
          2nd USSS
          Potomac Legion
          Cent'l PA Rowing Association-President
          _http://www.rowpa.org_ (http://www.rowpa.org/)
          "Have You Flogged Your Crew Today?"

          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
            I see the ranger tours as indispensable and irreplaceable. They serve
            an important and unique purpose. I see battlefield guide tours as a
            supplement to the ranger tours.

            And, yes, Tom Shay gives great battlefield tours, as does Tom Clemens.

            Stephen

            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
              Steve,
              You probably heard this scuttlebutt too; they are not replacing Paul's
              position for the forseeable future, and Bill Woodworth is not coming
              back as a seasonal this summer. That leaves much work for the other
              rangers, and thus less tours. It is also about $. "Don't you know
              there's a war on?"
              Tom C

              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                Tom;

                Has Paul Chiles left the park? If so, where did he go?

                God. --Anonymous

              • Marc73@aol.com
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                  In a message dated 04/12/06 2:38:47 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                  clemenst@... writes:

                  they are not replacing Paul's

                  What did I miss reading....Paul is gone? He was our living history
                  participant key person.

                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                    Paul Chiles is retiring in June. Not sure what day.

                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006

                      What a drag.

                      Steve

                    • richard@rcroker.com
                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                        A great loss. He never hesitated to sit down with me to help with artillery
                        tactics and procedures.

                        Good luck, Paul, and thank you!

                      • richard@rcroker.com
                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                          I tried to send Paul an email at paul_childes@... and it got kicked
                          back. Any ideas on how I can email him?

                          R.

                          > On Wednesday, April 12, 2006, at 02:13 PM, Thomas Clemens wrote:
                          >
                          > > Steve,
                          > > You probably heard this scuttlebutt too; they are not replacing Paul's
                          > > position for the forseeable future, and Bill Woodworth is not coming
                          > > back as a seasonal this summer. That leaves much work for the other
                          > > rangers, and thus less tours. It is also about $. "Don't you know
                          > > there's a war on?"
                          > > Tom C
                          >

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Tom Shay
                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                            Richard,

                            In the email address you cited, it appears the name is mis-spelled.
                            Shouldn't it be Paul Chiles?

                            Message 13 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
                              Richard,

                              I thought Paul's last name was Chiles?

                              Try Paul_Chiles@....

                              Failing that, email Brian Baracz at Antietam NBP and elicit his help.
                              Brian's email is Brian_Baracz@....

                              Hope this helps!!!

                              God. --Anonymous

                              Message 14 of 21 , Apr 13, 2006
                                What are the best numbers for McLaws and Walker coming into the West
                                Woods. How many rebs did Sedgwick face? Was he outnumbered? Thanks.

                                Stephen
                              • Harry Smeltzer
                                Message 15 of 21 , Apr 13, 2006
                                  McLaws and Walker had no men. It is a well known fact that Lee fought the
                                  battle with himself and a one-armed orderly holding of McCellan's host of
                                  250,000, despite the "little McCoward" having all of the Gray Fox's "battle
                                  plans".

                                  I heard this from a cyclist outside the VC. I think his name was Jeff.

                                  Harry

                                  What are the best numbers for McLaws and Walker coming into the West
                                  Woods. How many rebs did Sedgwick face? Was he outnumbered? Thanks.

                                  Civil
                                  history

                                  Civil
                                  battles

                                  Civil

                                  _____

                                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                                  * Visit your group "TalkAntietam

                                  _____

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Apr 13, 2006
                                    Then it must be true.

                                    Stephen

                                    On Thursday, April 13, 2006, at 08:47 AM, Harry Smeltzer wrote:

                                    > I heard this from a cyclist outside the VC. I think his name was Jeff.

                                  • Brian Downey
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Apr 13, 2006
                                      The Park's events for the 2006 season seem to be online here:
                                      http://www.nps.gov/anti/events.htm

                                      Two events:
                                      1 July - Independence Day celebration; and
                                      2 December - Memorial Illumination

                                      If this is all there is, there's something gravely wrong. More than
                                      can be explained by Ranger Chiles retiring.

                                      I hope the events just haven't been posted online yet. But ... Spring
                                      events are usually up 1st or 2nd week of March, with the remainder
                                      thru the fall by end of April. I look for these each year to post and
                                      plan.

                                      So far only the StPatrick's day tour has appeared.

                                      Should we be knocking on doors? Writing Congresspersons? I'm worried.
                                      Anybody got the real skinny?

                                      Brian

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Apr 13, 2006
                                        Brian,

                                        I have noticed that too and am concerned nothing has been posted re
                                        the annual anniversary tours. Also, could it be there is no one there
                                        to act as a Webmaster to post such information on line?

                                        God. --Anonymous
                                        > The Park's events for the 2006 season seem to be online here:
                                        > http://www.nps.gov/anti/events.htm
                                        >
                                        > Two events:
                                        > 1 July - Independence Day celebration; and
                                        > 2 December - Memorial Illumination
                                        >
                                        > If this is all there is, there's something gravely wrong. More than
                                        > can be explained by Ranger Chiles retiring.
                                        >
                                        > I hope the events just haven't been posted online yet. But ...
                                        > Spring
                                        > events are usually up 1st or 2nd week of March, with the remainder
                                        > thru the fall by end of April. I look for these each year to post
                                        > and
                                        > plan.
                                        >
                                        > So far only the StPatrick's day tour has appeared.
                                        >
                                        > Should we be knocking on doors? Writing Congresspersons? I'm
                                        > worried.
                                        > Anybody got the real skinny?
                                        >
                                        > Brian
                                        >
                                        > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Clemens" <clemenst@...>
                                        > wrote:
                                        >>
                                        >> Steve,
                                        >> You probably heard this scuttlebutt too; they are not replacing
                                        >> Paul's
                                        >> position for the forseeable future, and Bill Woodworth is not
                                        >> coming
                                        >> back as a seasonal this summer. That leaves much work for the
                                        >> other
                                        >> rangers, and thus less tours. It is also about $. "Don't you know
                                        >> there's a war on?"
                                        >> Tom C

                                        > Service.

                                      • Tom Shay
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Apr 13, 2006
                                          If you want an idea of how things have changed, just look at this listing of
                                          Spring tours just two years ago:
                                          http://web.archive.org/web/20040417143315/www.nps.gov/anti/pphtml/events.html

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Apr 13, 2006
                                            Dear Tom;

                                            There has been a drastic reduction in the amount of tours offered by
                                            the park over the last few years. I wonder if that is due to budgetary
                                            reasons, personnel reasons or because Paul could no longer put an
                                            aggressive schedule together?

                                            God. --Anonymous
                                            > If you want an idea of how things have changed, just look at this
                                            > listing of
                                            > Spring tours just two years ago:
                                            > http://web.archive.org/web/20040417143315/www.nps.gov/anti/pphtml/events.html
                                            >
                                            > Tom Shay

                                          • Tom Shay
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Apr 13, 2006
                                              I expect to get to Antietam this month. If we don't become aware of a reason
                                              for the lack of tour offerings by then, be assured I'll inquire while there.